Friday, June 3, 2011

Review: Earl of Sandwich

I have finally reached the last dining review of my August 2010 trip!  It only took me 10 months!  Well I know for most of you, I've saved the best for last because Earl of Sandwich is a big favorite in the Disney community.  Knowing how much people rave about it, it was a must-eat on our August trip.  We even walked through a terrible rain storm from D-Street just to eat there.

When we arrived, the line was long, but I didn't mind.  I needed time to survey my options on the menu.  For those of you who aren't aware, Earl of Sandwich is a counter service restaurant in Downtown Disney that sells, well, sandwiches!  James decided to order The Original 1762 (roast beef, cheddar cheese, and horseradish sauce), and I went with the Italian (salami, capicola, roasted ham, mortadella, mozzarella cheese, Roma tomato, and Italian dressing).  I looked for the brownie frosting sandwich that I had previously seen on the Disney Food Blog, but they didn't seem to have it.  Before we knew it, our sandwiches were ready, and we found a seat in the packed dining room. 

Have you ever had a pepperoni pinwheel?  It's basically dough, mozzarella cheese, and pepperoni formed in the shape of a cinnamon roll.  That's exactly what my Italian sandwich tasted like.  I was thrown for a loop a little bit because I was in the mood for a sandwich, not a pepperoni pinwheel.  Overall the sandwich was good, but I was less than enthused since it wasn't what I was looking for.  James, on the other hand, really liked his sandwich.  I would definitely return to Earl of Sandwich, but probably not for the Italian sandwich.  I've come to the realization that I'm not very into hot sandwiches in general, so I'd probably stick to an old classic: the BLT.  If you're not into sandwiches either, they also have soups ($2.99) and salads ($5.99).  The sandwiches are $5.99 also, though all of these prices are as of the time of this writing. 

What is your favorite thing at Earl of Sandwich?  Did you think the Italian tasted like a pepperoni pinwheel?  Do you make Earl of Sandwich a regular destination on your trips to Walt Disney World?  Let me know your thoughts on the restaurant in a comment, on Twitter (@amandaenchanted), or on Facebook!
 

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE the Earl of sandwich. I always get the Caprese and an Earl Lemonade. We went to the one in Vegas in January, and now my mom is chomping at the bit to go back.
    I get to have Earl later this month as it's in the airport terminal I'll be flying out of to the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I'll have to try the Caprese and the Earl Lemonade! Too bad there aren't more locations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah The Earl, how I miss it when I am gone. I love the place. I always get a basic turkey sandwich with lettuce and onions, and they are wonderful accommodating my food allergies. My husband thinks its the bread that makes the sandwiches I just really love it, and don't know what it is but its so yummy!!
    Darn now you have me craving some Earl and I am far from DTD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol sorry! I didn't realize that you could just get a basic sandwich. I'll have to keep that in mind for the next time!

    ReplyDelete