Thursday, April 14, 2011

Review: Yakitori House

I am an epic fail because I don't have any pictures of Yakitori House.  But let's ignore that, and we can focus on the food instead.  Let me preface this with the fact that I really love Japanese food, but I don't really eat sushi.  If I do eat it, I have to be VERY in the mood for it.  Usually, I stick to foods teriyaki style at Japanese restaurants.  James, on the other hand, loves sushi.  As a result of our combination of Japanese food love, one hot August day in Epcot, James and I decided to try the Yakitori House for lunch.

The Yakitori House has both indoor and outdoor seating.  It was raining when we went, so we sat inside, but the indoor area isn't very large.  We were probably lucky we were able to get a table.  I ordered the beef teriyaki.  It wasn't on the menu, but it was on a smaller sign next to the cashier.  James ordered some kind of sushi.  As soon as mine came out, I didn't think I'd like it.

Beef teriyaki, at least when I've eaten it, is essentially steak with teriyaki sauce on top.  The beef teriyaki at Yakitori House was more like semi-shredded beef, and it was extremely fatty.  It sort of reminded me of pulled pork, but it was beef.  The teriyaki sauce was good, but I wasn't into the texture.  That combined with the fattiness meant I mostly stuck to my rice for that meal.  James, on the other hand, had sushi, and I believe he liked it.  Sushi is sushi I guess, and if it's made correctly, it's good.  We also got dessert because we were on the dining plan, but considering I can't remember it at all, it must not have been very good.  I also clearly remember getting a kaki-gori afterwards, so I must have really not liked the dessert.

Overall, I think our meal at Yakitori House was average.  It wasn't anything great, and I probably wouldn't want to eat there again in the near future.  I think there are much better counter service options in Epcot, and if you're really looking for good Japanese food, spend the cash on Teppan Edo or Tokyo Dining.  If you're just looking for a sushi fix, however, this is a good place to grab some quick.

Have you ever eaten at Yakitori House?  What did you order, and what were your experiences there?  Let me know your thoughts in a comment, on Twitter (@discollegeblog), or on Facebook!
 

10 comments:

  1. I found the beef really fatty too but the chicken teriyaki is much better. Still some few fatty pieces but I enjoyed it a lot more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If we go back, I'll have to try the chicken then! I usually gravitate towards beef because chicken can sometimes be dry, but I think chicken at WDW is usually pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats too bad you had an average meal there. I ate there twice on my last trip and loved it.

    With the dining plan, it counts as quick service, and I was able to get a sushi/udon noodle combo. The sushi was decent enough, but the huge bowl of noodles and delicious broth was definitely worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I *used* to like the Yakitori House a lot, maybe around 3-4 years ago. I loved the chicken, and usually had that. But then they changed from using mostly white meat to much fattier/dark meat, and I just don't like it as much. It's a texture thing. I can't stand chewy meat at all. I don't eat fish/seafood either, so I can't comment on the sushi.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brad, yeah we used it as a quick service on the dining plan too. I think the sushi was good, but the beef wasn't.

    Jenny, the beef was the same way, fatty and chewy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, I usually don't comment on blogs, but when it's about something I love, I have to. The Yakitori house has amazing food, but you have to order the right things (IMO, obviously). I tend to find it the best deal on food and I will go out of my way to eat there.

    Most Americans go for the Japanese food they know: sushi, teriyaki, or the beef. I'll be honest, they aren't amazing, you're right, and I'm not a big fan of sushi anyway. What is amazing, and if you get a chance, try, are the off dishes that most people haven't heard of or knew about.

    My favorite? Japanese curry. hands down amazing. Only place in the states I know with curry almost as good as getting it at a Coco Ichi's (curry chain) or any other place. The beef is also different, more stew cubes that have been cooked differently. They tend to be tender with still enough chew, and the potatoes, carrots, onions and sauce definitely make it great. It isn't too spicy, either (not enough for me, but good for most).

    Next would either be the tempura (Japanese fried food is amazing; tempura anything tends to be great!) or the udon, a special noodle soup (they also serve the noodles other ways too.)

    I hate to tell you this and then you find them to be lacking, but I know each has their own opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. To be honest, I'm a picky eater, and I usually wont try something I'm not sure I'll like. That's why I tend to pick my go-to teriyaki. Also because earlier in the week I had eaten a great chicken teriyaki at Tokyo Dining. Perhaps if I were to retry Yakitori House, I'll give your suggestions a try. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's ok! My girlfriend is the same way. It took a lot to get her to try curry, and she's now the same way about it as I am. We tend to go often now.

    Don't get me wrong, go with what you like! :)

    And yes, not very many of the specialty things (teriyaki, tempura, sushi) tend to compare to Dining. They almost perfectly emulate a standard Japanese more modern eatery. It really is great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would have to agree with you -- Yakitori House isn't my favorite. I think there are MUCH better counter-service options in Epcot. My personal favorite is Tangierine Cafe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not a huge fan of Tangierine Cafe either, but I do love some other counter service in Epcot.

    ReplyDelete