Monday, April 25, 2011

Review: Captain Cook's

Whee, bad cell phone pic
Being an avid listener of the Be Our Guest Podcast, when Rikki suggested Captain Cook's over and over (and over) for their famous adult grilled cheese, I knew that we had to go there back in August.  Captain Cook's is a counter service restaurant in the Polynesian Resort, and it's great when you're looking to get away from the crowds of the Magic Kingdom for a yummy lunch or dinner (or breakfast).  We went there for lunch on this particular day.

Captain Cook's has an interesting ordering system unlike any other I've seen at Walt Disney World.  Like Pecos Bill's, there are ordering kiosks, but unlike Pecos Bill's, you can't pay at them.  You order using the kiosks and then walk over to the cashiers to pay.  Since the cashiers aren't really near the kiosks, it's a little confusing, but we figured it out soon enough.  Upon seeing the menu, I swear it said that there was blue cheese on the adult grilled cheese, although Rikki swears there isn't.  Anyway, I don't like blue cheese, so the adult grilled cheese was no longer in the running.  Instead I decided to order the multi-grain turkey club (no mayo), and I believe James ordered the aloha pork sandwich.  And, of course, we both got Dole Whips for dessert.  Oh yeah, did I mention the best part about Captain Cook's?  It has a self serve Dole Whip machine!

Once we figured out how the ordering worked, we soon got our food, and we found a table pretty quickly.  The restaurant was by no means quiet, but it was certainly less chaotic than, say, Pecos Bill's likely was on that day.  I honestly don't remember much about my turkey club (probably should have written this review sooner than eight months after the fact), but seeing as I don't remember anything bad about it (like I do about the yucky turkey club at the Studio Catering Co), I'm sure it was good.  I'm pretty sure James liked his sandwich as well.  In fact, I'm pretty sure the only reason that we didn't go to Captain Cook's last time we were at Walt Disney World is only because we didn't get over to the Magic Kingdom resorts much.  I do remember that the multi-grain bread had an interesting, seedy texture, but it was really good.  And both our meals came with Captain Cook's Polynesian chips.  As for the Dole Whips, totally delicious, as usual.

I highly recommend Captain Cook's if you're in the Magic Kingdom area.  Not only is it a nice break from the hustle and bustle of the parks, but the menu choices are quite different from most things you'd see in a counter service restaurant.  Although we didn't order anything out of the ordinary, I'd like to go back (perhaps this August?) and try something a little different.

Have you ever eaten at Captain Cook's?  What did you order?  What did you think?  Is it a must-do for you, or do you only eat there occasionally?  Let me know your thoughts about this restaurant in a comment, on Twitter (@discollegeblog), or on Facebook!
   

10 comments:

  1. I like the name Captain Cook's. I'll keep this in mind in case I ever find myself near it. Would it be safe to say that their turkey club is forgettable? :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol yes, but their adult grilled cheese is supposed to be fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so smart to get out of the park for a somewhat quieter meal at the Poly. Since we're staying there in September, we may have to make this a stop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE Cap'n Cook's! It's one of the best quick-service locations at Disney. I often recommend that people leave the Magic Kingdom for dinner at Cap'n Cooks and fireworks on the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great advice! Capt Cook's is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to go to Captain Cook's every trip. Like you, I tried the grilled cheese on Rikki's recommendation-love it! (Actually, I was just eating some boursin cheese with lunch and thinking of this sandwich) Also, they have the infamous Tonga Toast at breakfast time for a fraction of the cost of Kona's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So it is boursin cheese and not blue cheese? I SWEAR the menu said blue!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have yet to stay over night at the Polynesian ($$$), but my wife and I always take time out on our vacations at WDW to visit. We've eaten at Captain Cook's several times and have fond memories.

    Terrific blog by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you! Isn't Capt Cook's great?

    ReplyDelete