Sunday, January 30, 2011

January Trip Report, Day 7

There are few sadder sights...
Unfortunately, the seventh day of our trip to Walt Disney World was also the last full day.  The next day we would be leaving the resort at 9 am, so we woke up to the Magical Express envelope on our door.  We had no morning plans, and the only thing we knew about that day was that James' brother and his boyfriend were coming, and James' brother hadn't been to Disney in 15 years!

We started off our day by going to Epcot, as we were becoming accustomed to doing.  Unfortunately, the half marathon was going on, so it took us an hour to get there.  This wasn't terrible for us since we were in no rush, but I did feel bad for another family on the bus who thought we would be arriving before rope drop.  We finally got there at around 9:30.  We went straight for Soarin', expecting to only get Fastpasses, but the line was so short that we basically walked on!  Next we hit up Test Track single rider, and soon it was almost time for World Showcase to open.

Who can resist this photo op?
I remember that they let us in the line for Maelstrom before 11, but they didn't actually start running the ride until 11:05-ish.  We then toured around the World Showcase for the bazillionth time (but it never gets old!) until it was time for our lunch reservation at Le Cellier.  I was nervous that it wasn't going to be as good as I'd remembered, since our lunch at Via Napoli the day before was a disappointment.  I'm very pleased to say, however, that it was absolutely not the case.  Le Cellier dazzled again.

The famous Le Cellier mushroom filet.
Our waiter was excellent, and once he realized that we clearly favored the pretzel bread, he brought us three sticks fresh from the oven.  He also let James order a mango smoothie as a drink on the dining plan, like they had at Yachtsman Steakhouse.  We were not told this was a possibility last time.  James chose to order off of the three course menu, while I stuck with just an entree and dessert.  I honestly can't remember what James got for an appetizer, but he got the big burger there for his entree.  I decided to try the "famous" mushroom filet, even though I loved the New York Strip last time.  I was in the mood for something different, I suppose.  I don't even really like mushrooms, but I'm glad I ordered this dish.  The risotto was very good, and the steak was excellent.  I'd probably order the Strip again next time, but the filet was awesome.

James' giant burger!
For dessert, I had the famous maple creme brulee, which was awesome!  James had a sorbet trio, which I believe he liked as well.  If I had to rate all of the meals on our trip, I have to say, this was probably the second best.  And we ate at three signature restaurants.  As much as I hate to say it, I do believe that Le Cellier could go for two credits.

After lunch, we tried to avoid exploding, since James' brother and his boyfriend had arrived and were at the Studios.  We took a Friendship Boat over (SLOW again, but my knee was still bothering me), and we went into tour guide mode.  We knew they only had one day with us, and they were going on the highlight tour.  It was around 1 pm, so Toy Story Mania was out of the question.  We started at the Great Movie Ride, and next we hit the Muppets.  James and his brother wanted to see the Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground, since it was one of the few things they remembered as a kid at Disney.  It was awkward walking through all the small children, but they just wanted to see if it was like they remembered.  Apparently it was.  After that, James' brother and his boyfriend went on Tower of Terror while James and I shopped.  After they got off, I got us free Fastpasses for Rock N Roller Coaster (which I proceeded to chicken exit from, of course) because it was my birthday.  Then we decided to head over to Epcot, since it was around 4 already.

 At Epcot, we continued our highlight tour, starting at Test Track single rider.  The newbies weren't as thrilled as I'd hoped: one has a convertible.  Next we headed over to the Land pavilion, and we let them use Soarin' Fastpasses we had gotten earlier.  Next we hit up the Seas with Nemo and Friends, and finally the icon:  Spaceship Earth.  At this point it was a little past 6, and we decided we'd end the day with the park of all parks for newcomers:  the Magic Kingdom.

We got to the Magic Kingdom turnstiles around 6:50, and we quickly realized we needed to get across Main Street fast if we wanted to beat the 7 o'clock parade.  Luckily, we made it, and we arrived at Pecos Bill's just around 7.  I had the bowl of meat, but I don't remember what the others ordered.  We had assumed when we were done eating around 7:30 that the parade was done, but lucky us, it had just started where we were in Frontierland.  So our Disney newbies got to watch the Main Street Electrical Parade.  Then we high tailed it over to Main Street for Wishes. 

I think Wishes was a hit, and luckily the Magic Kingdom was open until ten.  So we had time to ride stuff too!  We started at Adventureland, which was completely empty right after Wishes.  We went to Jungle Cruise first, and I was amazed to see that our skipper was the same skipper we had in August.  Only then he was earning his ears, and honestly, he wasn't a great skipper.  This time, however, he was awesome!  And he was totally amazed that I had remembered him from the first time.  Luckily we had a boat that was really into the jokes, so we had a good time.

After Jungle Cruise, we rode Pirates, which is always a hit of course.  Big Thunder was very crowded because Splash was closed, so we went right into Liberty Square.  Unfortunately my favorite, the Haunted Mansion, had a 20 minute wait, and we were on a time crunch.  We passed through Fantasyland, which was pretty busy for so late at night, and we headed into Tomorrowland.  Here, we rode one of my favorites: the TTA!  It was quite cold, but it was still a good time.  And the last ride of the trip was Buzz Lightyear, which was less than a 10 minute wait.  Not bad at all. 

After our rides, we wandered down Main Street, and I stopped in the Confectionery for a cupcake and another chocolate caramel apple to take home.  And at the Confectionery, I was Twitter recognized by a cast member that was working there!  It was totally awesome!  I felt famous!  Finally, before we walked out of the park, we saw the kiss goodnight.  I had never seen it before, so it was a fabulous end to a fabulous trip.  We rode back over to All Star Movies, where James' brother and his boyfriend were staying, and we hung out until we were quite tired.  Then they drove us back to our resort, where we got ready for bed.  The next day, we pretty much woke up, did some last minute packing, and left.  It was a great trip, however, and definitely a memorable one.
 

2 comments:

  1. You guys were awfully busy that day! You did a bunch. :)

    I love that you were recognized via Twitter! So awesome.

    ReplyDelete