Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Social Media in the Parks

One of the new great things about going to Disney parks is the social media aspect.  Ten years ago, you probably went to a Disney park, shared the experience with a friend or two or your family, and maybe took some pictures.  Now, the whole experience is much different.

If you've spent any reasonable amount of time on Twitter, you see that people are always tweeting from the parks.  Whether it's Walt Disney World, Disneyland, or a lucky duck in an international park, you'd be hard pressed to find a day where someone isn't tweeting from a Disney location.  When you're on the tweeting end, however, it can make a trip so much more fun.  There's nothing like tweeting a picture of Spaceship Earth and getting five responses in ten minutes.  And who else can really understand how thrilled you are to be walking right down the middle of Main Street USA?  And I can personally say that it's amazing how many people that were strangers a year ago care about which Vinylmation figures you bought and traded.  My Twitter followers are my friends, and tweeting from the parks is a blast (especially on long, boring bus rides!).

Then there's Foursquare.  It hit the big time a few months ago, and now it seems to be fading out a bit.  In the parks, however, it's so much fun.  I was thrilled to the get "I'm on a boat" badge on a Friendship Boat, and others were thrilled when I checked into my first park of the trip:  Disney's Hollywood Studios.  My friends could respond if I was checked in at Epcot to get a kaki-gori because they couldn't, and they could wish they were me when I checked into my lunch at Le Cellier.  Plus, I could go back to my Foursquare history and see exactly what I did, even if I didn't broadcast it on Twitter.  Now that's awesome.

And finally, there's Ustream.  Ustream is another big thing I used on my last trip to Walt Disney World.  It started with streaming the Main Street Electrical Parade, which, despite a technical issue that caused the first half of the parade to have no picture, was a big hit.  I also streamed the Main Street Trolley show and the Voices of Liberty.  People at home could see what I was seeing, and when I got home, I could go back and watch the videos I shot.  I had decided that I love when people stream from the parks, so I wanted to do the same.  And so I did.  Hopefully any of you who watched enjoyed.

Twitter, Foursquare, and Ustream are just of the few social media outlets used in Disney parks.  Which are your favorites?  Do you ever unplug and spend a trip without social media?  Do you agree that sharing your experiences on these outlets makes a trip even more fun?  Let me know your opinions in a comment, a tweet, or on Facebook!
 

10 comments:

  1. I love, love, love the social media while in the parks! I started out using FaceBook, but really the people I had as my friends did not much care to hear that I was on the Peoplemover. Then I moved to @nrhenley on Twitter and created my site at http://meetthemagic.com and have had a GREAT time meeting people. My favorite was meeting twitter friends in the parks. It was really amazing! Great article! Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I also love Twitter for social media in the parks, since my Facebook friends also couldn't care less. But that's what my Disney friends are for!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used Foursquare on my last trip to DLR and checked in all over the place, plus posted on Twitter. I find it fun being able to share what I am doing cause it is not something I get to do all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! Love Twitter and Foursquare!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a Canadian I feel so grateful and jealous about social media in the parks. I'm grateful that so many people share because it lets me survive the time between trips. I'm jealous because I can't do the same thing on my trips because the roaming data plans would bankrupt me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, that does stink. At least you can still enjoy everyone else's tweets!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tweet and Foursquare every time I'm in the parks. I love when I'm home seeing people in the parks so I know someone out there has to be enjoying my posts! :) Then when I'm trying to write my trip reports, it helps to go back to my history to see what I did and when.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree! Love Twitter and Foursquare!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our past trip I was totally unplugged. I'll admit, I like it, but this next trip I think I'll be using TwitPics and maybe some FourSquare. Not for EVERY ride, but for parks in general.

    ReplyDelete