Sunday, November 14, 2010

Ride Wimp 2: Space Mountain

Image from DisneyWorld.com
Some of you readers may remember back in May when I confessed that I was afraid to ride Splash Mountain.  I really wanted to ride it because I was in love with the audio, but I was terrified.  Somehow I overcame that fear, and I conquered it!  I even liked most of it, except for the jerky part in the dark.  And speaking of jerky things in the dark, my next fear is Space Mountain.

I almost rode Space Mountain courtesy of a friend's very persuasive children, but a 70 minute wait bailed me out of that one.  Nevertheless, it made me think:  if a five year old isn't afraid to ride Space Mountain, why am I?  Well, honestly, it's the darkness probably.  The fact that I can't see where I'm going freaks me out.  Roller coasters freak me out in general, and I figure that added to the dark factor just makes it bad news for me.  I mean, the short dark jerky part of Splash Mountain sometimes makes me rethink riding that (the long drop, ironically, didn't bother me).  Also, I can't sit next to James, so he can't hold me in my seat (I really dislike being thrown around, which is another reason I often skip roller coasters, and I hear Space Mountain is really jerky).  So I suppose being alone plus disliking roller coasters plus the darkness.  But I am sort of curious what I'm missing.  And I do sort of want to conquer it just for the sake of conquering it.  And then I could have officially completed the Triple Mountain Whammy.

So what do you think?  Should I just stop being a baby and ride the darn thing?  Are my fears well founded, and I shouldn't push myself?  Let me know your thoughts in a comment, on Twitter (@discollegeblog), or on Facebook!
 

10 comments:

  1. So I love rollercoasters, so on one hand, I say conquer your fears and go for it.

    On the other hand, my husband made me ride Tower of Terror and I almost had a heart attack. I'm afraid of straight falls and elevators and I'm slightly claustrophobic. So yeah, it was kind of a nightmare for me.

    If you think you won't like it, then I wouldn't do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. fjdskafksl I don't know because I do think I won't like it, but I sort of want to do it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say try it at least once, then if you don't like it, you never have to go back on again but you can say you tried. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was hard for me too. I waited to my twenties, and at first, my nervousness affected my ability to enjoy it, as it is with my first ride on any coaster. It is very similar to thunder, though. I say if you like that, you'll love this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to be a wimp about roller coasters but now I love them. Ironically when I was not so fond of them the only ones I would ride were at WDW. I say try it and if you don't like it you don't have to ride it again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. RIDE IT! It's only like 35 mph.. If you sit at the front, you can see the turns coming and prepare for them. Start here so you can work up to Everest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am scared to death of coasters... Oh I'll ride but mostly they freak me out. But with that said. NOTHING at Disney has ever gotten to me (With the exception of ToT) but every Disney ride has been fairly good. Even Space Mountain and Everest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. DisneyGirlinNJ, that's what I'm thinking.

    Scott, I hope so! It's so nerve racking though!

    Scott, I am the biggest wimp! I suppose I have to try it...

    DisneyBabies, ironically, Everest doesn't freak me out as much. I'd probably ride it, but we avoid it because it made my dad sick once, and my boyfriend gets motion sickness.

    Dana, if you say so!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As your friend says, "Thou shalt not reject a ride until it has been personally experienced." If it's simply fear and not motion sensitivity, try it once.

    My sister just made me ride the Dueling Dragons and Incredible Hulk coasters at Universal for the first time, and, much to my surprise, I really enjoyed them.

    Fear can be a good thing, but sometimes you need to put it aside.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sigh, I know, I guess I have to try it.

    ReplyDelete