Thursday, October 14, 2010

Review: Via Napoli

Margherita Pizza - Yum!
I've been so excited to write this review, and I'm so glad I'm getting to it!  Via Napoli was one of our favorite meals this trip.  Probably second only to Le Cellier.  For those who are unaware, Via Napoli is the new table service restaurant in Epcot's Italy Pavilion.  They specialize in pizza (possibly the first really good pizza in Walt Disney World?), but they also serve many other Italian dishes.  Though we were on the Disney Dining Plan on our last trip, we chose to pay out of pocket for this meal, so we stuck with only entrees (pizzas!) and sodas.  Perhaps next time we'll need to try some appetizers and desserts, but what we had was absolutely delicious!

I should probably begin this post with the fact that I had very low expectations for Via Napoli.  In fact, I wasn't sure if I wanted to visit the restaurant at all.  All our dining credits already had ADRs, so we would be paying out of pocket.  And as New Yorkers, we were used to good pizza and not used to paying so much for it.  $16 for an individual pie seemed ridiculous, but a friend told us that the pizza was excellent and the servers were easy on the eyes.  So we decided to give it a try on a rainy Saturday afternoon.

Quattro formaggi!  Four cheese!
At the time, Via Napoli was only accepting walk-ups, and at 1 pm, we waited only about ten minutes for a table.  I'm curious how walk-ups are going now that they are accepting ADRs.  Once we were seated, we looked over our menus, and I decided on the Margherita Pizza.  James chose the quattro formaggi, based on the many rave reviews I'd told him about.  Both of us were beyond pleased with our meals.  We had planned on sharing the two pizzas, but I didn't want to give up mine, and he didn't want to give up his!  We did end up trying each other's meals, but we largely stuck with our own.  The pizzas were phenomenal.  Nothing like New York pizza, but I didn't expect Margherita pizza to be like that anyway.  This was a true, traditional Italian pizza.  The quattro formaggi was also delicious - four cheeses with no tomato sauce.  It was a fantastic meal!

Once we were really there, the price really didn't bother us.  Honestly, where else in Walt Disney World can you get a delicious, sit down meal for $16 per person?  Not many places!  What I had initially thought would be a rip-off turned out to be a great value!  Via Napoli was definitely a place I want to visit again, and I hope you all get a chance to try it! It was molto bene!  Check out the menu here!

Have you been to Via Napoli?  If so, what did you order, and how did you like it?  If not, are you going to try to visit in the future?  Let me know what you think about this new restaurant in a comment, on Twitter (@discollegeblog), or on Facebook!

Update: Our second trip to Via Napoli was, unfortunately, not as great as the first.  I would still recommend it, but beware of inconsistency.
 

4 comments:

  1. I actually just posted about my experience at Via Napoli too. We LOVED it!! And being from NJ/NY...we were picky as well.

    We ordered the arancini (rice balls) and the prosciutto and melon pizza. What an awesome combination of flavors! I'm already planning on what to get when we go in January. :)

    I didn't find the price expensive at all. For real Neapolitan pizza by me, it's either the same price as Via or even more, depending on the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm maybe I'll try it on my next trip. I'm skeptical of whether I'll like it... I love pizza but I don't like my crust too thin and definitely don't like it crispy, and I've heard a few reviews that said the crust is pretty much burnt (on purpose). So my problem is that this pizza might just be too good for my un-refined pizza tastes haha. I love that there's no sauce on that cheese pizza though, I can't stand an over-sauced pizza! I would probably go JUST for the arancini, they sound GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our crust wasn't burnt, but it was very thin and crispy. If you don't like that, you may not like the pizza there. I'm sure you could just go for the arancini though!

    ReplyDelete