Thursday, October 21, 2010

Review: Boma

The only decent picture I took at Boma - boo!
I had very mixed feelings about Boma going in.  On one hand, I was excited because many people rave about Boma.  On the other hand, I was nervous because I can tend to be a picky eater.  That's one thing I like about buffets, though.  Even picky eaters can find things they like.  Plus they can feel free to try new things without having to order an entire entree.

We were a little late to Boma because of the whole Disney transportation doesn't go from resort to resort thing.  Plus it was raining.  But despite all that, we finally made it to Animal Kingdom Lodge, which I had never stepped foot in before that day.  All I can say is that we'd hardly entered the lobby when I gasped, "We have to stay here one day."  The resort is absolutely beautiful, and I'd say it's worth a trip even if you don't have an ADR.  Honestly, the resort is an attraction in itself.  It's breathtaking, and the savannah outside is just perfect.  Full of giraffes - my favorite animal!

Anyway, back to the food, we arrived at Boma a bit late, but we were taken in roughly 10 or 15 minutes.  We were seated at around the same time as a mom and young girl at the table next to us, so our server came up to both of us at the same time.  They had been to Boma before, but we hadn't, so he explained a little about the different stations and such.  Apparently Boma is the biggest buffet in any Disney park around the world, and there really is a huge selection.  Tons of different types of meats, soups, sides - anything you can think of!  There were three different types of hummus with different types of bread to go with it, and I visited that station several times.  Yum!  And then there was a fairly huge dessert station in case you weren't already stuffed.  This included the famous Zebra Domes, some passion fruit and/or mango domes that James simply loved, and some delicious apple cobbler type food.  For kids or less adventurous eaters, there's also a station with foods like mac and cheese and chicken fingers.  There's really something for everyone here!

Boma really was quite good, and as I said before, I loved that I could try one bite of this and one bite of that.  One of the reasons I usually don't try new things is that I don't want to waste a whole meal if I don't like it.  But you don't have to worry about that at a buffet!  If you're considering Boma, I'd say it's definitely worth a try if you can afford it (it is rather expensive at $30.88 per adult and $14.99 per child for dinner).  As for me, I do hope to return in the near future, though there are some restaurants I'd like to try for a first time before I head back to Boma.

Have you ever been to Boma?  What was your opinion on the restaurant or why have you shied away?  What were your favorite items in the buffet?  Let me know what you think in a comment, on Twitter (@discollegeblog), or on Facebook.
 

8 comments:

  1. Boma is by far my favorite WDW buffet. I love the carved prime rib, the bobotie, and the seafood chowder. And all those desserts! Oh my gosh. Delicious! Plus the theming of the resort - nothing better than going out to the Savannah after dinner!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! It's a great buffet in a great resort!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Their carrot-ginger soup is my favorite ever ever ever ever ever ever ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Didn't try it, but sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I<3 Boma. Love their falafel, fufu, tou with green beans and carrot ginger soup. m I get to try breakfast in December!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The breakfast is supposed to be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Went there for the breakfast in February 2010. The food and service were amazing! Even my picky hubby loved it and still raves about the food.

    You need to ask them about the special juice drink they have. Wish I had gotten the recipe. It was guava, mango and a few other things. So yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay, I'm glad you liked it too! As for the special juice, I'll try to remember to ask next time we go!

    ReplyDelete