Sunday, October 3, 2010

Main Street Electrical Parade vs. SpectroMagic

Image from DisneyWorld.com

In honor of my appearance on today's episode of the Be Our Guest Podcast, I'd like to discuss and explain something we talked about on the episode: my opinions on the Main Street Electrical Parade (MSEP) vs. SpectroMagic.

2009 was the first time I ever saw any nighttime parade at Magic Kingdom (well, really at any park), and it was SpectroMagic.  It being my first time seeing something like that, I was absolutely enthralled.  I love Spectro, and I was actually a little sad that I wouldn't be seeing it on our recent trip in August.  But I was willing to try a new parade, and we saw the Main Street Electrical Parade for the first (and second) time.  I really liked it, but I have to say... I like Spectro better.

I believe that there are two main reasons that I like Spectro more than MSEP.  First of all, I don't have the nostalgia factor that a lot of people associate with MSEP.  I had never seen it before August, so I had no emotional connection to it.  Unlike many people who saw MSEP as a kid and want to share it with their family and friends, I have more of a nostalgic connection with Spectro, since it was the first light parade I ever saw.  I really loved Spectro, and I still do.

The two parades are very different, and I like them for different reasons.  On one hand, MSEP is really fun, and it makes you want to clap and dance and be happy.  The music is great, and it gets stuck in your head for days.  Spectro, on the other hand, is more magical, to me at least.  And that's the second reason I love Spectro so much.  To me, Disney is all about the magic, and I really feel like Spectro brings this out to its fullest.  From the white lights changing to color to the soundtrack, Spectro is more magical than fun, and I'll take the trade-off.  I mean, it's not like Spectro's not fun too!  It amazed me the first time I saw it, and I hope that it comes back to Walt Disney World soon.  I miss it!

What do you think about the Magic Kingdom nighttime parades?  Do you prefer the Main Street Electrical Parade or SpectroMagic?  Do you prefer any of the other special parades?  (Boo to You has been in my head all weekend even though I've never seen it in person.)  Let me know your thoughts in a comment, a tweet (@discollegeblog), or on Facebook!  And listen to me talking with Mike and Rikki on episode 269 of the Be Our Guest Podcast!

This post is part of the eleventh DisMarks.com Disney Blog Carnival.  Click the link to see more great Disney articles!
 

14 comments:

  1. Sorry, but MSEP all the way for me. I've seen SpectroMagic several times, and while it is entertaining, it just isn't MSEP. I agree that much of the preferences we all have for things at the parks really depend on our first exposure to them and our memories (which may or may not be accurate).

    For me it wasn't seeing the parade, it was listening to the music. I was staying with my cousin and his family back in 1975-76, and he had all the old Buena Vista albums of different attractions, including a 45 rpm single of the MSEP. I listened to that over and over and over (along with POTC and HM). I actually never made it to DL until the late 80s when I moved to CA. And I didn't see the MSEP until 2000 when it was at WDW. But that was the "one" for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen both parades several time and I have to say I agree with you! There is just something about spectra's music

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scott, to each their own! Obviously MSEP is very popular, and many people share your opinion.

    Casey, agreed, I love the music!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like both parades and I like to change things up so today, I'll say I prefer MSEP. Harder to say ultimately which I prefer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i like MSEP because, like you mentioned, i have emotional connection to it. it was the parade i love to go see as a little girl, so i was pleased to see it make a comeback (i'm only 21, but hey, i've been to Disney 15 times). that being said, i like spectro too! as long as I'm in Disney, I'm happy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you, Amanda. I like Spectro much more than MSEP. The music for Spectro is much more symphonic, and that really does it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely agree with you! I love both parades, but Spectro is my favorite Although the MSEP is fun to watch and the song is catchy, the Spectro parade truly encompasses the magic that makes Disney so special. MSEP makes you dance and clap; the beauty of Spectro brings a tear to your eye. I'll be very happy to see it again when it returns.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Matt, change is always good. Which is why they should change back to Spectro! Lol!

    Alison, agreed. Disney is Disney regardless of parades!

    Sanford, apparently there are fellow Spectro lovers. We're not alone!

    FunLifeOrlando, I completely agree about Spectro's magical quality. I miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never seen MSEP but I agree with you that Spectro is just magical. It's the only light parade I've seen, though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Did anyone ever see Light Magic at Disneyland? It didn't last very long and I never saw it, but I do have a t-shirt that has MSEP on back with "That was then..." and Light Magic on the front with "... This is Now". Of course, MSEP outlived it after its short and unpopular life. Usually wear on park trips and cast members usually comment on it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lol, that's awesome! Unfortunately, I've never been to Disneyland. I really want to get out there one day though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with you for the exact same reasons as you... I parents who refused to stick around for parades and fireworks when we went as a kid (for some reason) and I'm only in my early 20s, so this August was my first time seeing the MSEP. I agree that it was fun and made me want to kind of dance, but it just wasn't as magical as Spectro. Hopefully it's back when I go in March!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's the same exact thing for me! We never saw the nighttime parades as kids, so my first time seeing MSEP was in August. I hope for you that Spectro will be back in March!

    ReplyDelete