Sunday, October 10, 2010

Food Spotlight: Dole Whip

My first Dole Whip float!

Back in April, the month of this blog's birth, I made a confession:  I had never had a Dole Whip.  I had heard all about them, yet I had never actually tried one myself.  For those who are unaware, Dole Whips are practically famous for their deliciousness in the Disney community.  A Dole Whip is pineapple soft serve ice cream that can only be found in Walt Disney World, Disneyland, and Hawaii (or so I'm told).  At Walt Disney World, they can only be found in two places: Aloha Isle in the Magic Kingdom's Adventureland, where they are served in pineapple, orange, and vanilla flavors, and can be floated on top of pineapple juice (called a Dole Whip float), and at the Polynesian Resort's counter service restaurant, Captain Cook's.

Most people get their Dole Whips at Aloha Isle because it is much more accessible for the average park guest than Captain Cook's.  I was lucky enough to have a Dole Whip Float at Aloha Isle and a Dole Whip at Captain Cook's on our recent August trip.  I must say, the hype is definitely true!  They were absolutely delicious... a must-try for anyone who likes pineapple!  I preferred the Dole Whip without the pineapple juice, but the juice was good as well, especially on a hot day.  In fact, the only downside to getting a Dole Whip at Aloha Isle is having to eat it outside, where the ice cream tends to melt instantly.  The Dole Whip was much more filling than I had expected, and both times I actually had to throw it out partially eaten because I was full before I finished it!

A regular Dole Whip is $2.89, and a float is $3.99.  Both are one snack credit on the Disney Dining Plan, and you can get a regular Dole Whip as your dessert with a quick service credit meal at Captain Cook's.  As I said, you must try a Dole Whip if you're at the Magic Kingdom or the Polynesian.  You won't regret it!

Have you had a Dole Whip?  What do you think of them?  Do you get the classic, pineapple version?  Do you prefer the regular Dole Whip or the Dole Whip float?  Let me know in a comment, on Twitter (@discollegeblog), or on Facebook!
 

17 comments:

  1. Quick story I guess I can tell here: So my brother "Mickey" is a HUGE Dole Whip fan. Anyone, a year or so ago he won the week's fantasy football pool, and stated he was spending his $5 on a Dole Whip. My awesome BFF Lexie (who is sadly not a WDW fan) saw the post, and had to Google Dole Whip b/c she thought it was something dirty.

    I am a Dole Whip fan but not as big a one as Mickey (I actually bought him the mix for his birthday a couple of years ago)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love 'em!

    Though beginners should be warned, particularly if you're getting a Dole Whip Float.. they are very sweet! Sometimes you're better off sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hedy, lol that is funny! I've heard that there is a mix, but it's not as good as the real thing.

    Kenzie, very true, they are very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make it a point to get a Dole Whip float every time I visit the Magic Kingdom. This summer, to my delight, I discovered that Dole Whip is available at many county and state fairs - just look for the giant pineapple!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to know! I'll keep an eye out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love to eat Dole Whip! Ours at Disneyland only come in Pineapple. No swirls or other flavors like I've heard about with wdw. And you get them in Adventureland right by the Enchanted Tiki Room at the Dole Tiki Juice Bar. In fact one side of the bar is in the Tiki room queue and line is almost always shorter from that side (people don't know you can just go in there, don't have to wait for show). I like the floats too, but prefer the whip. My daughter likes to make her own float with Sprite and the whip. Yea, that's weird I know but she likes it! So, bring on the dole whip! Tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That actually sounds really good! Do they make it for her, or does she do it herself?

    ReplyDelete
  8. She makes it herself. I tried it and it's okay but if I'm having a float, I want the pineapple juice with it. Try it and see, maybe you'll like the sprite version.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to try it. I hope I'll remember!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been to Magic Kingdom dozens of times and have NEVER tried a Dole Whip. Maybe I'll try the vanilla/pineapple swirl so that the sweetness isn't too overpowering. Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Allison (Disney_Alli)October 13, 2010 at 9:13 PM

    I love Dole Whips my sister and I shared our first one at Disneyland last year and I had to get one in WDW this summer (I also snuck in a "pineapple soft serve" at the Calgary Stampede but it's just not the same!)
    Right after I bought mine I was walking past the line and this british woman practically grabbed me and asked what I was eating, I told her it was a Dole Whip and explained what that was and she looked at her guy and told him she wanted one... Again we're standing about two feet from Aloha Isle.
    I'm thinking okay have a nice day, please don't let the crazy woman follow me...

    ReplyDelete
  12. FunLifeOrlando, you must try one! It's like a right of passage or something!

    Allison, lol that's awesome! You spread the Dole Whip knowledge!

    ReplyDelete
  13. *drool* I get the orange float. LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My boyfriend likes the orange, but I really love the pineapple.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Don't hate me but I didn't LOVE the Dole whip. It was cool, refreshing, and kinda yummy but I have had better soft serve and I don't know if I would need one every trip.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's all good, everyone has different opinions!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It was A Very nice Center

    ReplyDelete