Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Vinylmation: I Get It Now

The first Vinylmation I got 
If you've been reading this blog for a while, you might remember that back in May, I just didn't get Vinylmation.  But then something happened.  I went to Walt Disney World.  And I saw Vinylmation figures everywhere.  And I bought one.  And I was hooked.  The post I wrote in May about Vinylmation had two main points as to why I didn't understand the phenomenon.  Now I feel I can refute those points, or at least one of them, very well.

First, I didn't like how they were shaped like Mickey.  I didn't understand why they were shaped like him, and it kind of freaked me out.  I don't have any real way of refuting this point other than the fact that the figures just grew on me.  One day I thought they were freaky, the next day I thought they were less freaky, and so on until I decided they were cute!  Especially the Cutesters.  This transformation may have began when my sister bought her first Vinylmation figures.  One was a Cutester, and it was so adorable!  I knew I wanted to buy one of my own.

The second Vinylmation I got
My second point was the blind box.  I didn't like how you were forced to buy a blind box, thereby leaving whether or not you got a figure you wanted to chance.  This was before I knew about trading.  Each store at Walt Disney World has at least one Vinylmation trading station, and trading stations come in two forms.  First, there is blind trading, where you choose a number on a big, black box, and you trade your figure for whichever other figure is in that number square.  Then there's trading from the clear boxes.  Three figures are displayed in a clear plastic box behind the counter of many stores, and if you'd like to trade, you simply ask a cast member to trade as you would with a pin.  Techincally, you can only made one trade per cast member/store, per day, but some would flex the rules.  Regardless of protocol, the fact that you could trade your figures made a world of difference when it came to my approval of Vinylmation.

Personally, I bought one Cutester, and one Park Series #3 Vinylmation figure.  The owl and Carousel figures above are the two I came home with, but I did not purchase either.  In both cases, I purchased one that I didn't like, and I traded it for the one that I really wanted.  I was very pleased that in both cases, I was able to trade for the figures I wanted the most.  The hunt for the best figures also became a sort of game.  I think I finally "get" Vinylmation.

What do you think of Vinylmation?  Love it?  Hate it?  Had a transformative experience like I did?  Let me know in a comment, a tweet (@discollegeblog), or on Twitter!
 

10 comments:

  1. I actually went a little Vinylmation crazy this past trip. I kept buying the surprise ones. They are cute and addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! Luckily I stopped myself at two, or I would have gone broke.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, I'm not a big fan. I simply haven't found them to be all that attractive, they're too expensive, and honestly the whole trading thing isn't anything compelling to me personally.

    At least with pins you had something that is quite portable and there are opportunities for trades everywhere. With these it isn't quite the same. Of course I think they went crazy with the pins too. Getting too expensive and offering way too many.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ally, that's awesome!

    Ladewig, I suppose we can agree to disagree. Although Vinylmations are portable if you're carrying a bag or backpack. They're not very big.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm more of a pin person. I still think Vinylmations are creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you enjoy it, but I don't see any appeal in it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the Cutesters myself. They are adorable. I didn't really get them myself in the beginning but some of them can be really cute. Just watch out they tend to get addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh i am obsessed! i tend to steer more towards the Vinyls that are Disney related, so i am not a huge fan of the Urban's or the Cutester's. I mainly just go for the ones that i really like!

    Here is my collection so far: http://i577.photobucket.com/albums/ss213/TanyaH666/Disney%20Pictures/AllVinyls.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  9. Megan, I used to collect pins when I was younger, but then I stopped.

    Matt, more Vinylmations for me then!

    Aleisha, I love the Cutesters too!

    Tanya, oh my gosh, your collection is so awesome!

    ReplyDelete