Sunday, September 26, 2010

TripIt in Action

Quite a while ago, I wrote a blog post about a really cool way to organize your travel:  Tripit.  I talked about how you can use TripIt on iPhone, Android, and Blackberry as well as on your computer to organize and view your travel plans.  I also mentioned a really awesome feature called the Itinerator that you email your travel plans to, and it automagically (see what I did there!) inserts the important information into your TripIt trip.  All of that stuff is really cool, and if you're interested in learning about TripIt's features, I suggest you check that post out.  This, on the other hand, is about TripIt in action.

Although you can't edit your trip using the mobile TripIt applications, they're still very useful for viewing plans.  Before I left for Walt Disney World, I added all my important information into TripIt.  I added my flight information, hotel reservation, restaurant confirmation numbers and times, etc.  I also put in all the park hours, parades, and fireworks, so I could have all that information at my fingertips.  This became extremely useful on our trip.

For starters, I was able to use the park information to see what parks were open late and when parades and fireworks shows were.  That way, when we didn't have anything in particular planned for a certain night, we could simply pull our phones out to see if there were nighttime extra magic hours or two parades or Fantasmic.  I used the restaurant information to hold confirmation numbers in case anything went wrong (luckily nothing did) and to remind us of ADR times.  We didn't have to memorize all our ADRs because every now and then, I'd pull my phone out and check if we had anything planned.

I also added little notes here and there in TripIt as reminders of things I may have wanted to try.  For example, I added a "Tangierine Cafe?" note to an Epcot day as a reminder that I wanted to try lunch there.  It wasn't anything definite like an ADR, but it was a nice way to remember I wanted to try something new instead of eating at the Electric Umbrella or something.

Finally, TripIt came through in the clutch when I remembered that I had to check in to my Southwest flight a little later than I should have.  Instead of checking in exactly 24 hours ahead of time, I realized about 20 minutes too late.  TripIt, however, had my confirmation number ready to go, so I could quickly copy it and check in to our flight.  We only got mid-B boarding passes, but it saved tons of time over having to dig through my email looking for my flight confirmation, and when you're getting boarding passes, every second counts.

Overall, TripIt was a huge asset in the parks, from park information to restaurant information to reminders.  Technology is definitely your friend, and I highly recommend this awesome travel website/app to anyone who travels anywhere.  Sign up at tripit.com if you're interested!

Do you use TripIt?  Have you ever used it in the parks?  How did it work out for you?  Let me know your thoughts in a comment, a tweet (@discollegeblog), or on Facebook!
 

4 comments:

  1. Great review of the app. I haven't used an app like this yet but it sounds intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Tripit, and am using it in the parks for the first time in December.

    ReplyDelete
  3. TripIt is awesome. I first used it last year to keep my WDW itinerary in order and it worked quite well. The iPhone app has been updated quite a bit since I first started using it; it's prettier and shows information a bit better.

    Their support team is very helpful and responsive also. When I first started using it, the iPhone app didn't show the confirmation numbers for dining reservations. I emailed the support team asking them if it could be inserted and was told they would pass it on to the developers. Sure enough, on the next app update dining confirmation numbers were in there.

    I put the hours for the park we were planning to visit in TripIt as well as the nighttime show times and of course ADRs. It's a very nice way to get a high level look at your trip that can be pulled up quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay, I'm glad you all like it/are interested in trying it!

    Scott, that's awesome about the confirmation numbers!

    ReplyDelete