Friday, September 24, 2010

Review: Le Cellier

Le Cellier was one of the places that I was most excited about trying on our recent August trip, though I must admit, I was afraid it would be overrated.  Amongst all the hype about this restaurant was also a lot of mixed reviews.  Whether the bad reviews were people expecting too much or the restaurant having some off days, I must say, our experience was absolutely amazing.

I must admit, checking in at Le Cellier and watching walk-ups get turned away while we waited to be seated for our reservation made me feel very exclusive.  Once we were seated, our hostess explained that each section of the restaurant represented a different province, though I don't remember in which we were seated.  Soon our waiter came, took our orders, and brought us our breads.  Each bread symbolized something, but all I can remember of this speech was staring longingly at the pretzel bread until our waiter walked away, so I could dig in!  The pretzel bread was awesome!  Yum!
Semi-blurry New York Strip picture.

James got the famous cheddar soup as an appetizer, although neither of us really liked it.  Oh well.  Soon, however, our entrees came, which we both loved!  We both got the New York Strip, and it was so good!  James said multiple times that it was the best meal of the trip.  The steak was one of the best I've ever had, and it was cooked perfectly.  It came with a potato gratin that I didn't much care for, but I didn't mind, since it only would have taken up room in my stomach that I had reserved for the steak!  We visited for lunch, and I'm really glad that the New York Strip is on the lunch menu.  I can't say enough good things about it!

For dessert, James had some type of not-so-adventurous ice cream or sorbet, while I had the Chocolate Moose.  This was the best dessert ever!  Adorable AND delicious!  The cookies that made up the ears and tongue were soooo good, and the chocolate mousse was also delicious!  I was very, very pleased with this dessert, though I couldn't finish it because I was so full.

Overall, our meal was fantastic.  So good, in fact, that James and I decided to change an ADR that we had for January and replace it with another Le Cellier lunch ADR.  Before our recent trip, I thought we'd be disappointed with eating lunch instead of dinner there, but we both thought it was very good!  A definite must-try in our opinions!

Have you ever been to Le Cellier?  What did you think of it?  Overrated or delicious?  Let me know in a comment,  a tweet (@discollegeblog), or on Twitter!
 
Update:  A second visit to Le Cellier proved equally as fantastic.  The quality is really here, and I would even spend two dining credits on this restaurant.  It's certainly comparable, if not better, than Yachtsman Steakhouse which is already two.
 

2 comments:

  1. Do you think it was worth TWO dining credits? I have never been, but I have a lunch reservation for my trip in Feb. We're not on the dining plan and I think this helped me get a reservation (I've never been able to)... I don't think a lot of dining plan people are booking it now, or at least that's what I've been reading! I'm not on the dining plan though, so it's all the same thing to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the big question indeed. Honestly, when it comes down to it, our meal there was better than our meal at Jiko, so maybe.

    ReplyDelete