Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Review: Beaches and Cream

At the Beach Club, hidden somewhere around Stormalong Bay (or at least hidden if you've never been to the Beach Club before) is an adorable table service restaurant like none other.  Beaches and Cream is a fifties style ice cream shop-type place that also serves lunch and dinner foods, and although it's a table service, they don't take ADRs.  That means if you arrive during peak times, be prepared to wait.  Luck was on our side, however, when we went to try Beaches and Cream, and boy were we glad it was.

Lettuce and tomatoes are for wimps!
We had only heard good things about the burgers, so naturally we both had to try them.  I had a cheeseburger, and James had a double cheeseburger.  Both were very good and extremely filling!  The fries were awesome too.  For dessert, neither of us really had the appetite for a full sundae, so we split an ice cream soda instead!  We got strawberry ice cream with vanilla soda - yum!  Next time I really want to try one of their specialty sundaes, though!

We chose to sit at the counter instead of wait for a table, and while some people may not like that type of seating arrangement, James and I often enjoy sitting at counters at restaurants.  For us, it meant that our waiter walked by often if we needed something, and we got to watch the servers make various ice cream treats!  We were lucky enough to see a family order the Kitchen Sink, and we were lucky enough to see the cast members make it!

I really liked the overall atmosphere of this restaurant.  The pastel colors were adorable, and the decor was nothing like what I was expecting (in a good way!).  I was pleasantly surprised, and the costumes for the servers were adorable!  I was very impressed with Beaches and Cream, and it was especially fun because it was our first meal at Walt Disney World this trip.  I'm hoping to make a meal at Beaches and Cream a tradition for us to kick off every trip from now on!  And maybe one day, we'll be hungry enough for the Kitchen Sink (but probably not!).

Have you ever been to Beaches and Cream?  What do you think of it?  What do you usually have?  Let me know your opinions in a comment, a tweet (@discollegeblog), or on Facebook!

This post was featured in the tenth DisMarks.com Disney Blog Carnival.  Click the link to see more great Disney articles!
  

7 comments:

  1. I very much enjoy beaches and cream for the ice cream... but I don't find the burgers/fries worth the trip (I've only had a burger once, so it could have been an off night). glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, hopefully it was an off night when you were there. The ice cream's awesome too though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you enjoyed it! You'll definitely have to try the specialty desserts at some point...hint...No Way Jose...hint... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol, I don't really like peanut butter in my ice cream, but I reeeeally want to try the Fudge Mudslide (I think that's what it's called?).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooo I love it! I went TWICE on my last vacation haha. The first time I split a No Way Jose with my boyfriend (it's really the only ice cream I order there), and the second time I finally roped some friends into sharing a kitchen sink with us! There were 6 of us between the ages of 17 and 24... and we JUST managed to finish. A family (consisting of parents plus two VERY small children) also ordered one at the same time of us and about half way through ours we realized there was gone! Put us to shame!


    Also, not liking hot peanut butter sauce on ice cream is illegal, I'm pretty sure. Especially when it's also mixed with hot fudge sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  6. On our last trip, we (all 7 of us - my kids, ages 5, 3 and 2, husband and my parents) went to Beaches and Cream for the first time. We only went for ice cream and ordered the Kitchen Sink. The kids couldn't believe the size of it and their expressions were priceless. We would definitely go back for another kitchen sink on our next vacation. It is quite a production when they bring it to your table too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Angela, lol! Sometimes kids can surprise you with how much they can eat I guess.

    Beth, that's adorable about your kids. The Kitchen Sink is indeed a production!

    ReplyDelete