Friday, August 6, 2010

Counter Service and Expanding Horizons

If you look to the left, you will see a picture of the item that I had for lunch almost every day of my last trip to Walt Disney World.  You see, I am a picky eater, but I am trying my hardest to change that.  I really want to be the kind of person who sees an exotic menu item and orders it without fear, but I'm not... yet.  However, I'm hoping that counter service meals can help me change that.

Counter service meals are good for two reasons.  One: you can get a burger if you're feeling particularly unambitious.  Two: there are plenty of other options for the more adventurous eater, especially at World Showcase in Epcot.  World Showcase is one of the main places I intend to eat counter service meals that are out of my comfort zone.  Since the meals are generally less expensive than table service, I wouldn't mind trying something new as much.  If I didn't like it, I could always get a burger.  One of the places I'm especially looking forward to trying is the Tangierine Cafe in the Morocco pavilion.  I've never had food like that, and I'm really looking forward to trying it.

Looking for other places to get away from that burger?  If you're still looking for meat, try the Flame Tree Barbecue in the Animal Kingdom.  I've never eaten here, and unfortunately, it will be closed for renovation during my upcoming trip.  But I've heard awesome things about the ribs and the view of Expedition Everest.  Another non-burger counter service venue that gets rave reviews is Earl of Sandwich in Downtown Disney.  Earl of Sandwich is one that I do hope to try in August, and the gourmet sandwiches are farrrr away from burgers.  On the other hand, if you do want a burger, they can be found almost anywhere.  And do you want the best burger?  It is generally agreed that the two best burgers can be found at Pecos Bills in the Magic Kingdom (a personal favorite, love the toppings bar!) and Beaches and Cream at the Beach Club.

So what do you think?  What are your favorite out-of-the-ordinary counter service meals?  Favorite non-burgers?  Favorite burgers?  Let me know in a comment, a tweet (@discollegeblog), or on Facebook!  And remember, if I get 25 more Twitter followers in the next 11 days, I will be giving away a prize from Walt Disney World!
 

8 comments:

  1. Substitute "pizza" for "burger" and this post could be about me, too! I totally understand about feeling like a picky eater at WDW, Amanda. I hope that you'll be blogging about new meals that you try after you get back from your trip!

    Hope that you enjoy the Tangierine Cafe! I ate there for the first time on our last trip, and the food is really delicious! Their meatball platter is definitely one of my favorite CS options now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be! I'm excited to try some new things and less burgers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always tried to get something other than a burger or hot dog in the parks, but recently it seems its the same burgers everywhere in the parks, it's even more reason for me to try to find new things to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've said it once, I'll say it again...get the adult grilled cheese at Captain Cooks at the Poly! Try it with the Polynesian Chips! You will not regret it! It's so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm... I like burgers, but I'm the exact opposite of picky and LOVE trying new foods, so I don't get burgers very often at Disney just on principle. I love Yak and Yeti's table service so we're going to try it's counter service this trip around since Flame Tree will be closed (my bf wanted Flame Tree but I wanted Yak and Yeti more anyways so I'm okay with this).

    Epcot is ooohhhh my favourite. We decided to NOT make an ADR for one day we're there this trip because eating around the world is my favourite thing to do. The last time I was at Epcot I was with my sister and some family members, but everyone but my sister and I decided to go home before dinner. My dad though, gave me $50 and told us to go get ourselves some dinner. Best. Day. Ever. We split a combination platter from Mexico (not an option now boo), some California rolls and Teriyaki chicken from Japan, Dumplings from China, Fish and Chips from UK, and then some pastry dessert from France. This trip as my boyfriend drinks around the world, I'm going to eat something from every single country. Ohhh boy!

    Oh, and you can also get cheddar cheese soup and breadsticks to go from Le Cellier (without an ADR!)... so I would recommend that as well!

    I got a wrap once at the MK and I hated it... so that's the one park I generally stick to burgers, or sometimes chicken nuggets (I love me some chicken nuggets!). I'll probably get the fish basket from Columbia Harbour House or maybe the lighthouse sandwich (it has hummus... and I love hummus, and it might be nice to have one meat-free meal).

    This post was too long. Sorry lol.. I love food and I love Disney and when combined I just can't be controlled!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol, but it's an awesome post! Lots of great tips, thanks! And yeah, MK is the place I am planning on getting a burger. Mmm, Pecos Bills.

    ReplyDelete