Image from DisneyWorld.com
Here's a confession that you might not know about me: I've never seen Fantasmic. On our last trip, we scheduled a Hollywood Studios day specifically to see it, and it was rained out. I was pleased when I found out there were three days showing Fantasmic on my upcoming August trip, and even more pleased when I saw a tweet from @studioscentral saying that there were second shows added for most August dates. Second shows are always less crowded, so seeing one wouldn't cause us to need to carve a 90 minute chunk out of our day. There are only two Fantasmic days in August where there is not a second show. One of them is the date I originally planned for Fantasmic. And thus, a conundrum. Which date do I choose?
August 17. August 17th was the day I had originally chosen to see Fantasmic, but the fact that there is not a second show is really putting a damper on it. It would mean we'd have to arrive at the theater around 7:30 pm for a 9 o'clock show. Since this is the day we'd be arriving, we would essentially land at MCO, take Disney's Magical Express to our resort, check in, eat dinner, and go straight to Fantasmic. There wouldn't be time for anything else. On a positive note, however, since there are no other plans for that day, getting there and getting a seat would be relatively stress free, albeit likely very boring. Also, if it's rained out like last time, there are four other shows later in the week.
August 19. On the 19th, we would be seeing the second show at 10:30. Unfortunately, that is also the day I had intended on seeing IllumiNations. Which means there are two options, one of which is seeing IllumiNations, leaving Epcot quickly through the International Gateway, booking it over to Hollywood Studios, and hoping that the theater isn't full. That's cutting it too close, and no one needs that stress on a vacation. The second option is moving our IllumiNations viewing to another day (possibly our Animal Kingdom day, since we'll have dinner at Epcot that night... thinking out loud here...) and doing the second Fantasmic show on the 19th.
August 22. This was the day I had originally planned Fantasmic before I knew that we would have park tickets for our first half day. It is our Hollywood Studios day, but we'll likely only tour until mid afternoon, which leaves the evening open for anything, after our dinner at Boma, that is. Seeing the second (10 o'clock) show doesn't put a damper on any plans, but it makes me nervous. What if it's rained out like last time? Then I will still have never seen Fantasmic. I'm not sure if I want to take that risk.
So what do you think? Which date would you choose? Would you wait 90 minutes because it's the least risky? Would you change your plans around just to see Fantasmic? Or would you chance the last show on your trip and cross your fingers that it's not rained out? Let me know what you would do in a comment, a tweet (@discollegeblog), or on Facebook!
And remember, if I reach 400 Twitter followers by August 17, I will give away a prize straight from Walt Disney World! And you can choose the prize! Just click here to vote in the poll!