Monday, July 12, 2010

Downtown Disney: What to Do

Image from DisneyWorld.com

You may not necessarily want to spend a whole day at Downtown Disney, but you definitely can, especially if you like to shop!  There are plenty of things to do there for all ages and interests.  I love spending at least half a day at Downtown Disney every time I go down to Walt Disney World.  You just have to!

For starters, there's the shopping.  There are tons of stores at Downtown Disney, and the mother of all of them is World of Disney.  World of Disney is a HUGE Disney store that carries essentially any piece of Disney merchandise you will ever desire.  In addition to World of Disney, there's Basin, which sells soaps and other toiletries; Goofy's Candy Company, which sells candy of course; and TrenD that has, well, "trendy" clothes.  And that's not even the beginning!  I've just read on the Disney website that there's a store called littlemissmatched that sells socks in pairs of three!  So clever/cute/probably something that only I would like, but still!  At Downtown Disney, there is a store for everyone.

For those that aren't shoppers, there are plenty of other ways to spend your money.  Cirque du Soleil has a show called La Nouba, which is supposedly fantastic.  I'd love to check it out some day, but it's definitely pricey.  For a less expensive show, there is a movie theater at Downtown Disney as well.  And, of course, there's DisneyQuest.  DisneyQuest is an "indoor interactive theme park" that is essentially a big building filled with video games.  From intense, virtual reality games to Ms. PacMan, the only thing DisneyQuest lacks is new technology.  Most of the games, even the "technologically advanced" ones, are dated.  It's definitely something to try if you've never been, but until they update some stuff, I'm not sure I'll be back.

There are plenty of dining options at Downtown Disney too!  Earl of Sandwich and Wolfgang Puck Express are the two counter service options that are the most highly praised.  I must say, I've never eaten at either (though I hope to rectify that in August!), but they both do sound fantastic.  As for table service, there are quite a few options as well.  From Irish food at Raglan Road to the House of Blues to the infamous T-Rex, there is, again, something for everyone at Downtown Disney.  Personally, I've eaten at Wolfgang Puck Cafe (the table service one), and it was alright.  It wasn't the most fantastic meal I've ever had at Disney, but it wasn't terrible either.  My parents enjoyed it, I believe.  Perhaps I just got an off dish.

And finally, there's Characters in Flight.  Characters in Flight sounds cool in theory, if you don't mind paying $18 per person for ten minutes to go up in a hot air balloon that may or may not be running at the time you arrive.  Then again, I don't really have the right to rag on it, since I've never ridden.  For all I know, it's fantastic!  Personally, though, I don't see the appeal.  It's not worth it to me, but perhaps others may enjoy it.  As I've said many times in this article, there's something for everyone in Downtown Disney.

So what is there for you in Downtown Disney?  What are your favorite things to see, your favorite places to shop, and your favorite dining experiences?  What have you tried that you, perhaps, didn't like?  Let me know what you think in a comment, a tweet (@discollegeblog), or on Facebook!

2 comments:

  1. Wolfgang Puck Express is really more like a sit down restaraunt rather than counter service. The food is good sized portions of high quality food. A must eat location for Downtown Disney.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, I'll have to try it some time!

    ReplyDelete