Friday, July 30, 2010

Check it out: The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World

I did it; I finally finished all 850 pages!  This book is huge, but it is awesome.  It's as informative as a book could possibly be, and it doesn't sugar coat anything.  It tells you what you need to know.  I recommend this book to anyone planning a vacation to Walt Disney World.  If you're looking for an honest opinion, and a huge amount of information, that is... 

If you just want to look at some pretty pictures, try the Color Companion to the Unofficial Guide.  If you want short descriptions of rides and restaurants, all of which have been approved by the Walt Disney Company themselves, then pick up the Birnbaum's Guide.  But if you're looking for a travel guide on steroids, this is the book for you.

The 850 pages house nineteen chapters and tons of touring plans that you're encouraged to bring to the parks with you.  There is literally information on everything in this book, from ride descriptions to restaurant descriptions.  From traveling with kids to nightlife for adults.  From which hotels rate the best to which hotels are best on your wallet.  Basically, after reading this book, you'll feel like you have enough knowledge to write your own travel guides (but hey, leave it to the professionals!).   Plus the touring plans can save you up to four hours a day in line!

Another awesome perk of buying an Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World is that you get 50% off a subscription to TouringPlans.com, an awesome website that features more touring plans, a 365 day Walt Disney World crowd calendar, and access to Lines.  Lines is a wait time app made by the TouringPlans.com crew, but that's a review for another day.  And although it sounds like I'm being paid by these guys, I'm really not.  The book and website are just that awesome.  I cannot recommend them more!

Do you own an Unofficial Guide?  Do you love it as much as I do?  Are you a TouringPlans.com subscriber?  Let me know in a comment, a tweet (@discollegeblog), or on Facebook.  And remember, if I get 42 more Twitter followers in 18 more days, I'll give something away straight from Walt Disney World!
 

6 comments:

  1. Allison (@Disney_Alli)July 30, 2010 at 11:14 AM

    I'm right there with you Amanda. I love my Unofficial Guide. I have the regular one the guide for grown-ups, the colour companion... and the guide to Disneyland even though I was already home from my trip by the time I found it. I plan on following the Touring Plans almost everyday I'm in the parks because I want to get everything riden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *Ding* I'm with y'all gotta have the Unofficial Guide, TouringPlans.com and my Lines app. Don't go to Disney with out them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Unofficial Guide.....and I get a new one every year! I frequent the touring plans.com website often and LOVE lines app when in Disney? can't forget......wdwtoday podcast, too. I love the crowd calendar the best...without it, who can plan anything?

    ReplyDelete
  4. *ding*! I'm kind of over the Unofficial Guide, but I'm curious to hear about Lines.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yayyyyy, I'm glad all you guys are into the UG!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dennis (@dd_indy)July 31, 2010 at 6:58 PM

    The Unofficial Guide is a great reference, but the Color Companion is a better book for someone who's not so familiar with WDW. (My sense of humor is similar to Len's, so I love the jokes in the CC.)

    I'm constantly checking the TouringPlans.com crowd calendar for "what if" trips.

    I'd use Lines if I had a smart phone, but I'd rather spend that money on a WDW trip.

    ReplyDelete