Friday, July 9, 2010

Check it Out: Twitter!

Yesterday, my sister asked me where the biggest community of Disney fans is on the Internet.  It didn't even take me five seconds to come up with my response:  Twitter.  If you're not on Twitter, then you are seriously missing out.  It is the absolute number one place to connect with the Disney community, and it is a ton of fun.

First of all, if you're following a good amount of people, there is a great chance that at least one of them is at a Disney park at any given time.  And people at the parks tend to tweet pictures.  It's almost like being there, and it's definitely great for a Disney fix.  Right now for example, Mike (@BeOurGuestMike on Twitter) from the Be Our Guest Podcast is in Walt Disney World and tweeting amazing pictures throughout his stay.  It's like a real-time trip report!

Even when people aren't at the parks, though, Twitter is still amazing.  It's awesome to be able to talk to people who all have the same interest as you, and with only 140 characters per tweet, you can follow tons of people without always having tons to read.  The best way to "join the conversation," as it is said, is to make an account on Twitter.com, follow someone that you know likes Disney, and then see who they follow, tweet at, and retweet.  It's the best way to start a network of Disney "tweeps."  Then just join in!  Tweet at people and just in general.  And don't be afraid of barging in on other's conversations... they want you to!  As Kim Knight (@kimberknight on Twitter) said on an episode of WDW Today, private conversations happen via direct messages (DMs).  If people are having a public conversation, don't think twice to join it!

Since I started talking to fellow Disney fans on Twitter, I have not looked back.  You might think you like Facebook, but it doesn't hold a candle to Twitter.  Twitter is so based on conversation, and it is so much fun.  I hope you join and follow me!  I'm @discollegeblog!

What do you think about Twitter?  Love it?  Hate it?  Never tried it?  (If you haven't, start now!)  Let me know in a comment, a tweet (how appropriate!), or on Facebook!
 

6 comments:

  1. Just joined within the past two weeks. I would have to say I like it already. I'm just trying to get the hang of it haha. Everyone is so nice though, love the Disney community on twitter. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're enjoying it so far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved people that tweet from the park. I wish that a US data plan was cheaper for Canadians so that I could return the favor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, well it's the thought that counts!

    ReplyDelete