Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Review: Toy Story 3

Talk about a movie that's topical for college students.  I saw Toy Story 3 on Monday, and my mind is still reeling from it.  I felt so many emotions, and it was awesome to see a movie series come full circle in such a timely way for a college student.

Like many of you fellow college students, I was just a little kid when the first Toy Story came out, and I thought it was awesome.  Then Toy Story 2 came out and was also amazing.  After that, it seemed like Pixar started focusing all their energy, especially from a marketing standpoint, on Cars.  I have been known to say that Cars is the Toy Story of the next generation.  I would bet you'd be hard-pressed to find a boy between ages three and seven who doesn't own any Cars item.  Toy Story has made an amazing comeback with this movie, however, and I hope I start seeing boys wearing Toy Story merchandise again.

Now for the movie review, STOP HERE IF YOU DON'T WANT SPOILERS.

The movie was simply amazing, heartwarming and incredibly sad at the same time.  I mean, once they were headed toward the furnace, I started crying, and I don't think I stopped until the credits started rolling.  The movie had the perfect mix of fun, funny, and sad, so I didn't feel bad after it ended.  I only felt fulfilled.

From a college student's perspective, I must say that it dealt with themes that we all face.  Fear of abandonment.  Moving on.  Growing up.  We all go through it, and the movie was as much for college students and adults as it was for children.  It was truly a movie for everyone to enjoy.

I could not believe the ending, and I'm still not sure how I feel about it.  For one thing, I'm sure they left it open for a fourth movie, but I hope that they leave the trilogy as is.  This third movie really came to a great conclusion, and I don't think it needs to be opened up again.  Pixar can now focus its efforts on Monsters Inc 2.  I'm excited for that one. 

Finally, I want to talk a little about Lotso.  Lotso was possibly the most sinister character I've ever seen in a Pixar movie.  I found him much scarier than Sid (who, by the way, made hilarious appearances in TS3), and I was very surprised when he didn't come around at the end.  I'm also a little concerned for the poor children who met him in Disney's Hollywood Studios before the movie came out, thinking he was a good character.  They must be traumatized from that.  Then again, I suppose that's exactly what happened with Woody and Buzz and the rest of the toys.  Tricked by the fuzzy pink bear.

Overall, I think the movie was amazing, and I plan on seeing it at least once more in theaters.  It was worth the ridiculously priced movie ticket and movie food, and having seen it in 2D, I can't say that I feel like I missed anything.  I prefer 2D, in fact, because I feel I can focus on the movie more.

So what do you think?  Love Toy Story 3?  Did you cry as well?  Haven't seen it yet?  Preferred it in 3D?  Let me know in a comment, a tweet (@discollegeblog), or on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment