Friday, June 18, 2010

The Great Movie Debate

Image from DisneyWorld.com

So this week is "International Hollywood Studios Awareness Week," and accordingly, I have decided to write an article about a great debate that goes on in the Disney community:  should the Great Movie Ride be updated?

The Great Movie Ride opened in 1989, and has stayed pretty much the same since then.  Since the ride's over 20 years old, some people believe that it should be updated.  They think that they should add some new movies to the scenes and perhaps take out some old ones.  On this debate, I must say I disagree.  Personally, I think the Great Movie Ride should stay roughly the same as it is now.  The large majority of the films you ride through are classics, and if you update now, you'll always have to be updating to keep the films current.  Even though I don't agree with some of the film choices, I think they should leave them as is.  At the very most, update the film montage in the ride every now and then (which I believe they do).

I do, however, think a different kind of update could be nice: an audio animatronic update.  I wouldn't say that Disney should drop everything to do this, but it would be a nice addition to the ride.  Some of the audio animatronics are kinda lacking (I mean it was built in the 80s), and it would be amazing to see new ones go in there.  That said, I love the Great Movie Ride anyway, and if I had to choose between keeping the old animatronics and a complete update to the movies in the ride, I'd stick with the old ones.

The Great Movie Ride is a classic attraction, and it's an must-do for me every time I go to the Studios.  And now you are aware for International Hollywood Studios Awareness Week!  If you want more information on the Great Movie Ride or the Studios in general, check out Studios Central!

So that's my two cents.  I know everyone has a different opinion on this, so I'd love to hear your argument.  Let me know what you think about the Great Movie Debate in a comment, a tweet (@discollegeblog), or on Facebook!

4 comments:

  1. I love the Great Movie Ride. The audio animatronics could use updating. I've long thought a "pirate" scene would be cool-you could have Jack Sparrow and Errol Flynn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think the Great Movie Ride should be updated because frankly, I don't trust Disney. I foresee an update turning into a glorified commercial for Disney films and the aspect I like about GMR as it is today is that it showcases many non-Disney films.

    Thanks for supporting International Hollywood Studios Awareness Week Amanda!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the GMR should remain exactly as it is. It's one of the few things in the park that still has the element of "classic" Hollywood to it! And the scenes they feature still capture an essence of film-making that is important. I'd hate to see it more "Disneyfied," to be honest. And I could seriously watch that montage at the end over and over and over...

    Plus I'm hoping to work there in the fall. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hedy, they definitely do need updating, in my opinion.

    Matt, I agree, which is why I don't think they should change any of the actual scenes in the ride. And you're welcome.

    Anna, it would be so awesome if you worked on the GMR. And I agree that it is a classic.

    ReplyDelete