Monday, June 28, 2010

The Downside to Flying

I am not a big fan of flying.  I wouldn't say humans were meant to be airborne for any longer than three to four seconds at a time.  That said, I do fly in planes because I like to go places.  Somewhere in between a fear of flying and a desire to travel lies an anxiety filled few hours followed by general happiness.  Unfortunately, flying isn't always the most efficient way to travel.

For starters, it can get expensive.  Although there are deals out there, the larger your party is, the less likely flying to your destination is worth it.  For one person, the price of the flight might equal the price of gas and (possibly) a night in a hotel.  For two people it might be worth it, even.  But a family of four or five will use money most effectively driving to your Disney destination.

And then there are delays.  Yesterday it took me roughly four hours on a plane to make a 50 minute flight.  We boarded at around 3:30, but we didn't have enough fuel to remain in the holding patterns to get into Kennedy airport.  So we had to land at a semi-nearby airport, refuel, and get back in line to land.  Overall, it took much longer than necessary.  Luckily, Kennedy was our end destination, but the people who had transfers had more ordeals in their futures.  Connecting flights, especially currently, can get very tight with all the delays out there.  I never remember transfers being so iffy in the past, but now it's often a gamble.  But a nonstop flight costs more than a connection.  Add that to already expensive airfare, and the plane's not looking so cost effective anymore.

Overall, like with anything, you have to weigh the pros and cons to each side.  If you fly, your travel time is shorter, but it will usually cost more.  Also, you won't have your own car.  If you drive, it may be cheaper, but it will take much longer.  You will have your car with you, but you also have to physically drive to your destination.  No sitting pretty with a little bag of peanuts for you.  Personally, I would rather fly, but everyone has their own preferences.

How do you get to your Disney destinations?  Drive?  Fly?  Train?  Horseback?  All of the above?  Let me know in a comment, a tweet (@discollegeblog), or on Facebook!

12 comments:

  1. I fly exclusively. I hate car trips of longer than 5 hours (and google maps has WDW as being a 22 hours 30 mins drive), but love planes and airports.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree about hating car trips. I don't love flying, but I prefer it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate flying. I used to love it, until one year when my flight had to make an emergency landing and since then it has petrified me (that reminds me of a George Carlin bit that goes I'm not afraid of flying; I'm afraid to stop flying while in flight).

    But like you said, I don't let my fear stop me from traveling and enjoying other aspects of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes! Oddly enough, it's the taking off and landing parts that freak me out the most, even though I know that those are probably the safest parts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always drive, even all the way from Toronto. We go with a LOT of family so it's definitely WAY cheaper, but even with just my boyfriend and I we crunched numbers and found it was significantly cheaper to drive on our last trip.

    Now, I've been convinced to go on a Disney cruise next spring (how I'm going to pay for it, I'm still not sure haha) and we plan on flying, and let me tell you it is STRESSING me out huge! The cheapest flight I can find, including driving over the border to Buffalo to avoid the international taxes and having 3 hour stops inbetween, is about $300. So $600 for my boyfriend and I to fly. It cost us $200 in gas the last time we drove! We have the time to drive down but not to drive back home, so fly we must. Seriously though, $400 extra! I've gone on week long trips and spent that TOTAL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and I'm terrified of flying. Like matt, I loved it and then flying at night through a lightening and pouring rain storm where I was the ONLY person on the flight still awake got to me haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Try Southwest or Jet Blue from Buffalo. It should be significantly cheaper!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll check! I've been using sites like priceline that search all of the airlines though, so I would expect they're looking at them too, but I'll check to be sure. I'm surprised at how much it is though! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Priceline and websites like that don't show Southwest, and Southwest is often very cheap (less cheap if you're going over spring break, but generally cheap from Buffalo to MCO). You also don't have to pay for your bags on Southwest. The thing is, though, that they don't release their flight info/prices until around 180 days before.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aha, they only have their flight window open until Jan 4th... so maybe when they open up for Feb they will be cheaper. Thanks again for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is late Feb early March so not quite spring break yet. Ohhh wonderful now I can hope for cheaper flights!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm also looking for flights past January 4, and I read on thew website that they'll be released flights up through March on August 17. Good luck getting a cheap one!

    ReplyDelete