Monday, May 24, 2010

Vinylmation: I Just Don't Get It

Image from Sam Howzit's Flickr photostream

I get the pin thing.  I have some of my own pins from when I was younger.  I get the Dooney and Bourke thing.  The bags are super cute, and I have one of the wristlets.  But there's one Disney merchandise trend that I just don't get: Vinylmation.

Vinylmation is the name for the plastic, Mickey shaped figures painted to look, well, like they're not Mickey.  They are all the craze in the Disney parks, and apparently they're sold on Disney cruises as well.  There are 3-inch figures that cost $9.95, and there are 9-inch figures that cost $39.95.  This isn't too expensive for Disney merchandise, but there are two things that really throw me off about Vinylmation.

The first is the fact that they're all shaped like Mickey.  A few are them are cool, but most of them just weird me out.  Mickey is supposed to have eyes!  And they shouldn't be on his ears!  And he shouldn't look like a different animal completely.  I realize that the Mickey shape is what makes them Disney-fied, but I think it's kind of weird

Additionally, another thing that throws me off about Vinylmation is the fact that the 3-inch figures come in a "blind box."  This means that you don't know what figure you'll get until you open it.  If I'm spending roughly ten bucks on something, I want to know it's something that I want.  I don't want to spend $100 until I finally get the figure I want.  Since there are very few that I like, I don't want to be stuck with one of the weird figures that I'm not crazy about.  It's too much of a gamble for me.

The final question is, will I buy any Vinylmation figures on my upcoming August trip to Walt Disney World?  I have to say that the answer is yeah, probably.  I feel like it's something that I have to buy just for the sake of buying it, and the 3-inch ones are relatively inexpensive if you don't care which figure you get.  If I do buy one, I can say I've done it, and move on.  I just hope I don't suddenly get addicted and feel the need to collect them all.  Hopefully this is unlikely.

So what do you think about Vinylmation?  Love it?  Hate it?  Haven't got a chance to try it yet?  Avoiding it because you know you'll end up spending all your money trying to get the figures you want?  Let me know in a comment, a tweet (@discollegeblog), or a Facebook comment!

18 comments:

  1. Omg, I thought I was the only one! I don't care for vinylmation at all; I think they're all deformed. I can't see myself spending money on any vinylmation. I'm a pin guy instead.

    By the way, the not liking vinylmation was going to be my #confessfriday this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only Vinylmation I have is a black 9" one I got autographs on last October. I alsp have the Mickey/Figment one as a pin. I'm meh on them, but I'll probably pick up a couple of DCL ones in November (similarly, if there are some inexpensive ones to use as traders at the Outlets I may get those).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't think I liked them at first, but I actually thought they were all blank and you drew on them yourself. Now I like the Theme Park series and a few others. I ordered a couple from DisneyStore.com to try to get an EPCOT Center '82 figure (and then wrote about the whole experience, of course). Long story short, neither of the DisneyStore.com figures were the EPCOT one, but I found it on eBay for less than I would have paid on DisneyStore.com.

    My advice is if you are looking for a specific one and it's not retired, try to find it cheap on eBay. I still want the Tower of Terror one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't get it, either. The majority of them actually look pretty hideous to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought I was the only one who doesn't get it! I'm not alone, woot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't get it. Well, I do and I still don't get it. It's just like pin trading and neither appeal to me, which is a good thing because they do cost a pretty penny. I don't mind the Vinylmation (to each, their own, right?) but it's kind of annoying how much real estate in the various WDW shops they are "invading".

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you Matt. The money thing is one of the reasons I stopped collecting pins (that and the fact that it's really annoying to carry a lanyard around on a hot day). I wonder what'll happen when (if?) the Vinylmation trend fades.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found your blog through a Follow Friday and love it! It took me way too long to figure out what the Vinylmations even were. I totally agree with all the points you made. No thanks, not for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I went to the new Vinylmation store (D Street?) in downtown disney and asked the store clerk about them. She said that they're trying to get them to catch on like baseball cards, where you would buy a pack and not know who you would get. However, I think a 1.99 pack of baseball cards is more reasonable than a 9.99 figurine. The concept is cool, but I agree that I would rather know what I'm going to get if I'm going to pay 9.99.

    The thing with pin-trading is that you can wear them around your neck for the most part...I wouldnt want to have a bag full of these guys as just another thing to lug around the parks.

    Needless to say the only thing we bought at that store was a Yoda Mr. Potato Head :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heather, I'm glad you found it and thank you!

    Kim, I totally agree that they are way too expensive for me to be buying them like cards.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i have a whole bunch of pins, but i stopped wearing them in the parks and now i mainly collect the dvc or ap limited edition pins or the ones from mvmcp. they were really heavy on my neck. my last trip, i had like 3 pins on a lanyard.

    i thought i was the only one who didn't get the vinylmation because i was seeing it everywhere, and i never saw the appeal.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lol, apparently there's a whole group of us who don't get it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Apparently from what I read on other sites, D Street & a few stores in the parks have a "trading" plan. It's three of the 3 inch ones in a clear case & you can trade yours for one of those.

    If you see what you want - buy one & just trade for the one you want. IF you don't - don't buy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Vinylmation series is AMAZING... I have no idea why you would say they are 'deformed' or 'ugly'. Yes, some are un-appealing, but most of them aren't. I personally have spent around $200 on them, as I find them cute. The Vinylmation trend will not fade, as they already have a store, tons of Black Boxes, and yearly meetings about them, and the future series. They won't just cancel it, as it is a huge trend, and those who don't like it are a very small, pathetic community.

    Everyone has their own opinion, but all of yours are wrong.

    Good day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. "Best. Dust Collecting Collectible. Ever." - Comic Book Store Guy (The Simpsons)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I honestly don't get them at all either and don't really like them. There are some nice looking ones but no.
    I thought I was alone in this, glad to know I'm not.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've actually done quite the 180 and started collecting them now. I swear, once you buy one, you get obsessed.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What got me interested in Vinylmation is how Disney is branching out to include some of their fine artists like Noah. http://noahfineart.com

    While some of his work is very expensive, his vinylmation pieces are affordable to most collectors. But they go fast! I looked and many are sold out!

    ReplyDelete