Monday, May 31, 2010

Pins: Use Them or Lose Them


Before the Vinylmation craze, there was a different collectible.  This one was loved by many and still is:  pins.  I have some of my own pins, and I think it would be hard to find a Disney fan who doesn't have at least one or two.  Pins can be an awesome collector's item, but you have to get past the three main road blocks that caused me to stop collecting pins.

First of all, they can get very expensive.  I collected them for a while, but the price is one of the reasons I stopped.  The pins are relatively cheap on their own, but they start to add up very quickly.  On the Disney Store website, I see that pins are currently going for roughly $9.95 and up.  Even if you only bought ten, you'd have spent over $100 once you factor in tax.  And this is assuming that you only buy the cheapest of the pins.  If you have the money to spend, however, why not go for it?

My second road block is transporting the pins.  Counting right now, I have 17 pins.  Not bad considering I didn't collect them for very long.  This is where you run into a problem, however.  How are you going to carry them around?  Many people choose to wear lanyards with their pins, but that can get tiresome.  Plus it's really annoying when it's hot.  You can leave some at home, but what if you realize later that you wanted to trade that one?  Your chance is gone.  If you don't mind carrying the pins or leaving a bunch behind, this won't affect you, but it is something to take into consideration.

Finally, there's the whole trading aspect in general.  Unlike the Vinylmation figures, which you buy in a blind box, so you're likely to trade it, I found myself not wanting to trade pins often.  I would buy the pins that I liked the most, and usually there wasn't another pin that I would want to trade it for.  Sure you can always buy a pin you don't like and hope that you'll get a good trade, but why buy the pin you don't like in the first place?  Then if you don't find a good trade, you're stuck with that pin.  A solution to this would be buying pins in bulk for a low price from somewhere like eBay.  However, this creates more problems because you have to trust that the seller is selling official Disney pins.  If they're not official, you can't trade them.  And you're out that money.

These are the three problems that I had with pin collecting, but I do realize that these issues don't affect everyone.  Overall, I prefer the pin collecting phenomenon over the Vinylmation one, and I think they're a great thing for some people to collect.  I'm just not one of those people.   To a very small extent, however, I even continue collecting a bit, occasionally buying a pin or two that I like.  Always remember, however, if you're like me and suddenly stop collecting, you may have a bunch of pins in your house with nowhere to go.  So, like I said in the title, use them or lose them.

What do you think?  Do you collect pins?  Are you like me, and you've stopped collecting?  Or do you not collect at all?  Let me know in a comment, a tweet (@discollegeblog), or on Facebook!

9 comments:

  1. I started a comment but then it grew all out of proportion for a comment. So it became a post on my blog. I've linked back to your blog from that post since you gave me the idea -- (http://scoutingwiththemouse.com/wordpress/2010/05/31/casual-pin-trading/)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a few pins that I bought several years ago (never with the intention to trade, just to collect). But when I got home, I did have that problem of what to do with them. I've pinned a couple onto my purses as a little "flair," but for the most part they just sit around in a drawer. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same problem. I liked buying the cute ones, but then I didn't know what to do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My pin habit got really out of hand. They are really heavy to wear, even on a lanyard, especially on a hot day. I also only buy pins that I like and don't trade much, although if some little kid wanted to trade, I usually did and then rebought the pin I had traded away. Sometimes, the trade works out in my favor.

    Now, I store the pins in a case and I buy only dvc or ap pins or special occasions like mnsshp or mvmcp.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, it's nice that you trade pins to kids that want them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have been collecting Disney pins since they started in 2000. Probably have well over a hundred now, and since we don't have small children, it is strictly a collection, not to trade. We have several binders where we keep them displayed at home, and they don't come to the parks with us: completely agree too hot and heavy to wear those lanyard! Plus, we lost a few doing that... :( It's kind of an addicting hobby and can get expensive as you pointed out Amanda. So we also set a budget!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Setting a budget is definitely always a good idea when it comes to collecting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I buy a whole bunch of pins on Ebay. They usually cost between 1 - 2 a piece depending on the number I buy. My husband wears our laynard. Each moring we stock it up with "Traders" and then trade all day at Disney. When we get home we put the good ones in the "Keep Bag" and reload the Traders up onto the lanyard. It is a great, cheap way to enjoy the pins. We keep the good ones in Binders at home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's awesome. Ebay is a great idea for pins if you can find a reputable seller.

    ReplyDelete