Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Least Favorite Rides: Why, Disney... Why?

Last Wednesday, I wrote a post about my favorite ride in each of the main four parks in Walt Disney World.  This Wednesday, I'm going to follow that up with my least favorite ride in each park.  In order for this to be fair, I will only include attractions that I have actually been on (so I can't judge something like Dinosaur, even though I'm sure it's ridiculously terrifying).  Here goes nothing... again!

Epcot: I started with Epcot in last week's post, so I'll start with it again.  I love almost everything in Epcot, so I'm going to have to go with an attraction that has recently left (hopefully for good!)  My least favorite attraction in Epcot was Honey I Shrunk the Audience.  Aside from the fact that it's completely outdated, I'm pretty sure this movie scarred me for life.  Apparently my parents didn't read the "don't bring your adorable, easily frightened small child into this show" sign.  The effects freaked me out as a kid, and I'm still not enthused over them.  Having never seen Captain EO, I'm excited for it.  It's outdated as well, but at least something's replacing Honey I Shrunk the Audience.


Disney's Hollywood Studios: I might be taking the easy way out with these, but Sounds Dangerous is my least favorite attraction here.  It's seasonal, which means it's hopefully on its way out, and for good reason.  It's sort of dated (The Price is Right host?  I mean come on.  You wouldn't put Bob Barker in an attraction, so get Drew Carey out.), and it's completely in the dark.  As much as we all love sitting in the dark listening to Drew Carey getting into shenanigans... oh wait, I don't think people love that.


Disney's Animal Kingdom: Another easy one for me:  It's Tough to Be a Bug.  I don't love bugs.  I don't love A Bug's Life.  I don't want things crawling on me while I'm watching a 3D movie about bugs based on A Bug's Life.  Did my parents really think that a "cute" movie about insects would somehow alleviate me of the apprehension of "4D" movies that I had as a direct result of Honey I Shrunk the Audience?  And Disney, can you stop making things touch me because it freaks me out.  Water's fine, wind is cool, but please nothing that people get exterminators for.  Thanks.


Magic Kingdom: I thought this one would be hard until I remembered the crown jewel of disliked attractions can be found here: Stitch's Great Escape.  Remember what I hated about the other three attractions?  In the dark and things touching you?  Well welcome to my life.  Disney has decided to make an attraction that combines these things.  Plus you're strapped in!  You are not in a mobile vehicle of any kind, but they have decided that your motion needs to be restricted.  And Stitch is going to painfully jump on me.  And burp in my face.  Come on, Stitch.  Learn some manners and stick to 'Ohana breakfast, please.


So there are my least favorite attractions in each park.  I have the feeling that a lot of you are going to agree with me, but I want to hear it from you!  Let me know what your least favorite attractions are in a comment, a tweet (@discollegeblog), or on Facebook!

All images are from allears.net because they rock and have images of basically everything.

14 comments:

  1. i don't think i'll have as easy as time as you in picking them out.

    magic kingdom: this one is easy. astro orbiter. it just spins way too fast for me at that height. give me teacups anyday over this slow-loading ride.

    epcot: maelstrom, but not because the ride itself is yucky. i don't like feeling trapped for the movie afterwards. it's not a bad movie, but i don't need to see it multiple times.

    studios: i've never done american idol or seen the show and i'm not even that interested in the tv show, so i can't really comment on it. i actually don't really care for the beauty and the beast show. i think they had to cut a lot out to fit a half hour that the story changes a little. i would have preferred that they cancelled this show and kept the hunchback of notre dame.

    animal kingdom: chester and hester's area where all the cheap games are, but technically i've never done any of them. they seem out of place. as for something i have done, it'd have to be kali river rapids. it's not so much that i really dislike kali, but it's disappointing compared to other similar rides. i've actually done kali many times and there have been times in which i don't get wet. that just shouldn't happen. disney actually learned from its mistake here and made the raft smaller for grizzly river run in dca and that's a much better ride that's drenching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, interesting choices. I've never been on Astro Orbiter or gone in the American Idol show. And you stay for the movie after Maelstrom? You must make those poor Norweigian CMs thrilled lol. I've been on that ride more times than I can count and never stayed for the movie.

    I like the Beauty and Beast show, possibly because Belle's my favorite princess. Also it's a nice place to go while I'm waiting for my less wimpy family members to get off of Tower of Terror. And I love Kali! It's perfectly tame for a ride wimp like me, and if you go straight there when Animal Kingdom opens, they let you ride three times in a row without getting out of your raft (not that that's necessarily a good idea).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woah. Woah. Woah. Every time I go on Malestrom at least once or twice a year I've always been told to move through the theater. I didn't even know that they still showed the movie. I'd never seen it in 20 years of visiting WDW.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also love your choices Amanda couldn't agree more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good choices, Amanda.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you had some great, errr.. I mean really good bad choices. Yea...something like that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol, I'm glad you all agree!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amanda,

    I pretty much agree with your choices. Although Ive been to WDW twice in the last 9 months, and I've never even heard of that hollywood studios ride.

    However, your MK, AK and Epcot choices I couldnt agree with you more.

    One more ride I would have to add to Epcot is Ellen's Universe of Energy. It was 45 minutes I wish I could get back. I feel like there are a lot of rides that focus on Dinos why does there have to be another one? The movie in the beginning is cool, only because of the gigantic screen it is on.

    Cliff: I love the river ride at DCA! it is much better than Kali River...

    Also, I watched the movie after Maelstrom a few weeks ago. It was....weird.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lol, that's because it's rarely open. I thought someone would say Universe of Energy, but I personally love it. I think I might be the only one, but I make my family members and/or boyfriend ride it every trip. But they usually don't mind the 45 minutes in air conditioning.

    I sort of want to watch the Maelstrom movie just to see what I'm missing (and maybe to make the CMs there feel better...).

    ReplyDelete
  10. great blog!

    mine are...

    MK: stitch's great escape. i havent gone on this ride, and i refuse to. im boycotting it, because they got rid of (in my opinion) one of the best rides in magic kingdom: ALIEN ENCOUNTER. AE was ubcredibly intense. too intense for disney, so thats why they got rid of it. kids would leave the ride crying, upset, screaming, etc. when i rode it, i LOVED every second of it. now they just replaced the alien with a "kiddie" alien, and just replaced everything frightening with stuff thats modarately scary and silly stuff. its a grudge that i will never get rid of.

    epcot: malestrom. no....just...no. the film afterwards is boring, and needs a SERIOUS update. people who have never been to WDW see malestrom from norway, and want to get on it because of the "drop" but little do they know, they willl leave HIGHLY disappointed. this past Christmas, i was at WDW, and malestrom had a 100 min wait. im guessing there were a LOT of first time visitors that day haha.

    MGM (i still call it MGM, no matter what): this is a hard choice...but i think ill have to say...ahh...the great movie ride. i like the GMV, but its my least of the favorite. *scrolls up your blog* WAIT.....sounds dangerous. i totally forgot about that place. BIGGEST waste of time ever. i havent seen that thing in years, and each time i walk past it, i remember why.

    AK: a bugs life. you basically took the wordds right out of my mouth with that one. oh, my runner up is expedition everest. that ride is WEAK.

    keep up the blogs, i just found this site today. VERY INTERESTING! =D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks! =) Interesting choices. I like Maelstrom enough to ride it if there's not much of a line, but I definitely wouldn't wait 100 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. me neither. the longest ill wait would be 15 minutes haha.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the blog.

    Here are my choices:

    AK: Primeval Whirl. The wait is always twice as long as the posted time. Not sure why but it seems like it takes forever to load. Plus the cars smell! Yuk. I try to talk the kids out of riding it when we're finished with Dinosaur and headed to Finding Nemo. After the last trip, I don't think I'll have much of a problem getting them to avoid it. The kids and I love Tough to Be a Bug but my wife shares your dislike of the creepy, crawly things.

    DHS: I had to think about this one a little but I think I would go with Voyage of the Little Mermaid. Mainly because the staging is so weak. It definitely looked dated the last time we saw it (12/2007). Has it been updated? If not, the big rock looked like paper mache and Eric's hair looked like a very stiff, very large toupee helmet. My wife was crazy about getting "rained on."

    Epcot: Since "Honey" is gone, I will go with Ellen's Energy Adventure. But it's not that I really dislike it so much as I just enjoy everything else in the park more. There's not really another ride in Epcot that we skip when we're there. Well, no one else in my family will ride Mission: Space but I enjoy it.

    MK: Here's where I find a lot of rides that I don't enjoy that much - Astro Orbiter, Buzz's Space Ranger Spin (which really pales in comparison to Midway Mania), and Monster's Inc, Laugh Floor. But the worst is obviously Stitch's Great Escape. WOW! Whoever thought that up needs to be forced to ride that for eternity!

    Peace!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lol! I've never done Primeval Whirl, and I haven't seen Little Mermaid in a looong time, so I can't judge those. I really like Ellen's Energy Adventure, though I might be the only one. And I've never done Astro Orbiter, but I like Buzz and Monster's Inc. Buzz does pale in comparison to Toy Story Mania, though.

    ReplyDelete