Friday, May 14, 2010

#confessfriday: I'm a Ride Wimp

Image from DisneyWorld.com

I have another confession to make to all of my lovely readers this week for #confessfriday.  I am a ride wimp.  A serious, serious ride wimp.  There are children that can't read yet that are braver than I am.  There are less than ten rides with height restrictions that I will willingly get on.  And for the most part, I'm okay with it.  I don't mind that I've never ridden Expedition Everest, and I doubt I'll ever regret that I've never been on Space Mountain.  The one problem I do have, however, is Splash. 

Believe it or not, I've been to Walt Disney World roughly around 8 times, and I've never ridden Splash Mountain.  When I go with my family, my sister always rides it with my dad while my mom and I take a spin on the railroad or hang out and get splashed by the water cannons.  And then my friend lent me the Four Parks - One World CD.  And I put it on my iTunes.  And I could not stop listening to the Splash Mountain music.  It's just so catchy!  I can basically sing it word-for-word having never ridden it.  But now I reeeally want to ride it.

Part of me says that Splash Mountain is no big deal.  I mean, someone dragged me on Escape from Pompeii in Busch Gardens, and I actually really liked it!  I rode it quite a few times, and I believe that the drop on that ride is the same length, if not longer, than Splash Mountain.  But part of me can't help but be nervous (the same part that gets a little nervous when I ride Test Track even though I've driven faster in my car).  My current theory is to get a Fastpass for it because a shorter wait time equals less time for me to chicken out.  Also, I watched a ride-through on YouTube, so I know when the big drop is.  I'm still nervous that I'll chicken out, but I really, really want to ride it this year.  And who knows, maybe if I like it, I'll try out Tower of Terror (hah, yeah right).

So I'm curious... are there any ride wimps out there reading this?  Have you ever been determined to ride something that you were afraid of, like I am?  What did you do to ease your nerves?  Do you have any advice for a person like me?  Or are you a ride daredevil that laughs in the face of danger?  Let me know in a comment, a tweet (@discollegeblog), or a Facebook post!

14 comments:

  1. Amanda!

    It's pretty simple: next time we're at WDW, we're going on it. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, it's harder than it looks! It's scary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Splash's big drop looks worse than it is. There are a couple of smaller ones also that aren't bad. Even so, 30 seconds or so total of drops are worth it even if you don't like them to experience the other 10 minutes or so of the ride.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Splash. However, a couple of years ago I faced my fear of Dinosaur, as my nephews (then 12 and 9) were riding. I HATED it (in the ride photo my eyes are shut, my head is down-it looks like I'm either praying or about to keel over dead). As a result, I have officially made Mission Space, Stitch Great Whatever, and it as to not to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scott, that's totally why I want to ride it. For the other ten minutes. (Contrary to my sister who only wants to ride it for the drop and hardly even knows there's a story... she must be adopted or something...)

    Hedy, I was thinking about attempting Dinosaur because there are no real drops, but I was worried because I heard it shakes you around a lot, and that's the number one thing I hate about roller coasters. Plus I saw a ride-through of Dinosaur on YouTube last night, and it looked scary, so that's a no for me. I kinda want to try the green side of Mission Space, but I'm a little nervous about that too. And Stitch isn't scary, but, at least in my opinion, it's kind of a dumb attraction and not really worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is okay. Walt Disney World was created for everyone. There are many thrill rides that I don't do just because they are too bumpy. Enjoy the park that you like to do. If you really want to go on SM just go on w/ someone that will help to get through it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very true. That's one of the many reasons I love WDW. I'm afraid of thrill rides, and my boyfriend gets sick on spinning rides, so at your average carnival or amusement park, there are very few things we can ride together. But at WDW there's SO much for us to do that doesn't spin and isn't scary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. I rode it quite a few times, and I believe that the drop on that ride is the same length, if not shorter, than Splash Mountain.

    -I think you mean Pompeii is longer..

    2. (Contrary to my sister who only wants to ride it for the drop and hardly even knows there's a story... she must be adopted or something...)

    -I hate you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoops, fixing that. Also, the second part is true and you know it is (except for the adopted part... allegedly).

    ReplyDelete
  10. i was a ride wimp before. my first coaster was when i was 6 and that was space mountain, which i didn't care for. 10 years later, my younger sister convinced me to try btmr, and that started me down the thrill ride track.

    dark rides really helped me. in space mountain and RnR coaster, i couldn't see anything, and i actually did better on them than i thought i would have. i did ToT because the unofficial guide stated that the main attraction was the show, the effects, and not so much the drop at the end. likewise, in splash, the story and the presentation are king; nobody else tells a story like disney does. the drop at the end is thrilling, but it's only a couple seconds.

    splash is so worth it. do it at least once, and then you can decide whether you want to do it again.

    by the way, i think the scariest ride in all of disney world is the astro orbiter. tea cups, no problem. astro orbiter is no good for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was in the same boat as you until last year. I was really freaked before I rode but, the drop is so quick. It's over before you know it.I ended up riding it four times that trip. It is much better than Pompei.


    P.S. Try Everest, the view is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't do Everest because it made my dad sick, and since my boyfriend gets motion sickness, I don't want to risk it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I also have never done Everest or Space Mountain because I am a chicken. I can do Splash Mountain only because there is only one big drop, it comes at the end, and the water slows you down at the end. I keep my eyes shut tight as we drop and then it's over!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're braver than I am, then!

    ReplyDelete