Monday, May 3, 2010

Backpack or tote?

 Image from verabradley.com

There are lots of things that everyone knows you have to bring to the Disney parks.  You're going to need your tickets, some money, and perhaps a credit card.  You might choose to bring a pair of sunglasses or an autograph book.  Maybe you decided you'd pack some snacks or a water bottle or two.  But then you approach a problem:  what do you put it all in?

Image from leatherdiscountgoods.com

This is my problem.  I know exactly what I plan to bring to the parks; I simply can't decide if I'm going to use a tote bag or a backpack.  On my last trip, I decided to bring a tote bag, but it got heavier and heavier as the day went on.  After a while, my shoulder really started to hurt from wearing the bag for hours and hours, day after day.  I feel like a backpack would be better for my back (and general happiness) because it would split the weight between my two shoulders.

My problem with bringing a backpack is not being able to always keep an eye on it.  I know Walt Disney World is probably one of the safest places in the world, but I'm still not sure I'm comfortable keeping all my valuables on my back.  Also, since I don't plan on bringing a school-type backpack, I'd have to buy one of the cute, small ones like the one pictured above (except I'd wear it on both shoulders).  Not that that having to go shopping is necessarily a bad thing...

So, my lovely readers, I have yet another question for you.  Do you bring a backpack to the parks?  Do you bring a tote bag?  Or a different kind of bag?  Or no bag at all?  I'd really love to hear your opinion, so leave me a comment, send me a tweet (@discollegeblog), or write on the Disney College Blog Facebook page.  I'm looking forward to hearing what you have to say!

7 comments:

  1. I've carried a drawstring backpack before, which had both pros and cons. A pro was that it stayed closed while on my shoulders, so it would be harder for someone to reach their hands inside. The con was how annoying it would be to open quickly when I needed my wallet, tickets, phone, whatever.

    My most common way of carrying things is in one of those massive across-your-body purses. I think I found mine at Target, and it holds A TON of stuff. I can even fit a jacket or umbrella in there if I need to. And if one shoulder gets tired, you can switch! That's just what works best for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, that's a good idea. I'll definitely have to check out my local Target to see what they've got.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm all about the backpack myself. I like to have my hands free, and I wouldn't be comfortable if I was constantly pushing a tote bag back up my shoulder. I have a small backpack that I use regularily that has one shoulder strap, but you can switch which shoulder it's on -- therefore one shoulder is always resting anyway :) I do find that if the weather is hot, that bag does get very warm though, so I will occasionally switch to a lightweight (basically just fabric) Donald Duck bag that I got in a Disney florist birthday gift package last year. It's a nice size, has two straps, and is a drawstring style.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, I didn't think about the heat thing. That's a good point.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Buxton Bag!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I brought my backpack from school. It was fine and nothing was stolen, there was too many pockets for the thief to choose from for one. Also I used the little cloth piece on the zipper hole, and put it through the other zipper hole, which creates a nice lock and keeps the bag closed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a good idea, but I wonder if it gets hot to carry a school backpack in hot weather? Also, I'm not sure I need a bag that big.

    ReplyDelete