Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Check it out: TripIt

If you're reading this, then you are on a computer or a smartphone.  Which means that you have at least one of the tools necessary for what I'd like to talk about today on The Disney College Blog: TripIt.

TripIt is, as their slogan says, a place to organize your travel.  You can use their website or one of their mobile apps (they support iPhone, Android, and BlackBerry, and they have a mobile site if you don't have one of those).  I started using TripIt a few weeks ago to plan my trip in August, and I really like it so far.

You start by making a new trip, naming the dates and destination.  Then you can choose to make your trip public or private.  You can have friends on TripIt, so if your trips are public, your friends can view them.  Once you add a trip, you can add different plans on different days.  You can add an assortment of things from flights to restaurants to meetings.  There's also a general "activity" category for other things (this is where I added things like fireworks/parade times).  When you choose to add a plan, you get to add as much information as you'd like.  You can add simple things like time, or you can add more detailed things like confirmation numbers and contact phone numbers.  This is great when adding things like reservations.  But wait, it gets better...

One of my favorite things about TripIt is their "Itinerator."  Thanks to modern technology, you can email any trip information to plans@tripit.com (once you make an account), and the Itinerator will glean the important facts and put them in as plans in your trip.  For example, I was able to email my reservation confirmation to the Itinerator, and when I looked on the website, the reservations were there, confirmation numbers and all.  The same goes for my flight information.  It even gave me a link to where I can check the status of my flight!  The only thing I want to say about the Itinerator is that you should double check all of the information it puts in.  When I emailed my reservations, though all the confirmation numbers were right, the contact phone number that the program inserted was actually the number for the cake hot-line or something (honest mistake - there are lots of phone numbers in the email).  Other than that, I haven't had any problems with the Itinerator, and I think it's pretty accurate!

The mobile apps are awesome too, or at least the BlackBerry one is.  I can see all of my information right from the app on my BlackBerry, and it syncs with my calendar too.  Now if I need any information, like a confirmation number (even the date I booked the reservation!), it's all right there.  I definitely won't miss my lunch at Le Cellier now!

There are some friend-y things on TripIt, but I don't actually have any friends on the website so can't say much about it.  Nevertheless, it's an awesome program to put all my plans together, and it's easy to figure out.  Plus the Itinerator's just awesome!  I definitely suggest checking out this website if you haven't at tripit.com.

Have you ever used TripIt?  Will you now?  Do you use another site/app to organize your travel plans?  Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment